We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay 4 nights in April

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay 4 nights in April

Have pinned down trip to CA and now trying to find affordable lodging. Something in the under $120 range preferred. Would like something with ocean view/access and parking -

Green Gables too expensive. Looking at Gosby House, Asilomar (altho reviews a bit iffy here), or open to other suggestions. Clean but don't care about whistles and bells. See some good reviews for Howard Johnson and Best Western but tend towards less institutional.

Welcome any suggestions.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,420 posts
6,007 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

The Best Western Monterey Beach Hotel is ok for the rooms....but excellent to walk out on the beach area. You might want to think about one this given your price range. The bay/ ocean access is good..http://www.montereybeachresort.com/

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

The Lighthouse Lodge and Suites in Pacific Grove is a more moderately-priced motel and sometimes runs specials. It is a clean, comfortable place to stay that should accomodate your budget. Usually, the best way to find out about specials is to call the hotel. Do you need any other information about this area?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

After staying at the Lighthouse Lodge I have made it my personal mission to discourage people from staying there. It's not all they say it is. Very flimsy doors. It's just a motor lodge. You park right in front of your unit. Half of the rooms have a view of the parking lot. The BBQ is really basic and the room they serve it in is so dreary.

On the other hand if you can stay down the street in the suites you would be getting a decent deal.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

http://bideaweemotel.com/

Love this motel and Pacific Grove!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

Thanks to all. Have booked at Gosby House as I discovered by phone eligible for seniors discount given 4 night stay so falls within $125 a night range, includes breakfast and other munchies and gets great reviews on this site. Also sounds like good base to explore town of PG on foot. Bide-A-Wee option was also appealing and cheaper in some ways.

Regarding suggestions for sights to see would appreciate some given we will be there for 4 nights (3 full days April) and will have rental car. More interested in natural beauty ie coast than aquarium etc. Will have spent 7 days in Santa Barbara and 2 in Cambria coming up Pacific Coast Highway and on to San Francisco after 4 days in PG. Shorter indepth drives/exploration preferred to being on road a lot altho open to all possibilities as Carmel and Monterey sound worth a visit.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

One of the most beautiful places in California is Point Lobos near Carmel! Hope you will be able to make it to there.

BTW, I went to Ottawa in 1984 and remember it being so wonderful; I hope to someday visit your beautiful part of the world again soon.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

Will check out Point Lobos option. This is my first trip to CA and really looking forward to it. Realizing limits of only having 3 1/2 weeks but preferring to spend a few days in each place rather than on the road every day.

Ottawa is a beautiful city - very people friendly, attractions within easy walking distance and not too big with different appeals in 4 seasons and being capitol has rich and diverse cultural options. Right now Winterlude festival is on for next 3 weekends with highlight being 4 mile long canal that qualifies as longest skating rink in the world (dependent of course on below freezing temps). May is a great time with tulip festival and many come in October to experience beautiful fall colors. Hope you can return.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

I agree that Point Lobos is wonderful. You can pay the car fee and drive into their parking lot, where the trails begin. Or you can park along Hwy 1, across the road from the entrance, and very carefully cross Hwy 1 and walk in. If you're looking for a good long walk, then I'd recommend that. But if you think that walking the trails will be enough of a workout, then drive in. If you love the outdoors, then it would be a good idea to spend some time in Big Sur on your way up. It's absolutely gorgeous. Lunch at Nepenthe is nice--terrific views. See www.bigsur.org. I hope you'll enjoy Pacific Grove--I love it here! Try lunch at the Red House Cafe--great atmosphere, wonderful food. It's on Lighthouse Avenue, Pacific Grove's main street.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

Another beautiful walking trail in PG is Asilomar State beach. You can actually get the trail along the coast by the Gosby house if you want to walk far, or drive down to the beach itself and start walking. From hear you can walk all the way into Spanish bay and Seventeen mile drive. This would also be a long but beautiful walk. There are great tidepools along the Asilomar beach part at low tide.

Pacific Grove
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay 4 nights in April

I forgot to mention...I wanted to make sure I told you to really consider not staying at a large hotel for this occasion. THough other posts may reccoment them, they are most impersonal and you wont get the special attention you get from a romantic B&B such as the Old Monterey Inn.

Pebble Beach may be nice, but again it is very corporate and not personal. The Monterey Plaza Hotel has a high ticket price, but the rooms have little more to offer than a Hilton or Hyatt - nothing special here. These types of hotels are great for regular vacations, but for an engagement weekend, make it truly special and stay at the Old Monterey Inn. Check out there reviews on Trip Advisor if you want to know more - I have stayed here many times and it is the best of the best and worth every penny.

I hope you enjoy your stay at the Gosby House. It is right in the middle of downtown Pacific Grove ("PG") and right next door to some of the greatest restaurants the area has to offer. Not to missed is Passionfish for dinner, Red House Cafe is a good option for lunch. If you are looking for a filling breakfast, Toasties is a great choice.

I would seriously reconsider your choice of not visiting the Aquarium. I have two friends who came to visit me this summer and didnt think they needed see the Aquarium. I was able to convince them otherwise and they loved it so much they are Aquarium Members and visit every couple of months – true story! The Aquarium is spectacular. It gives you a breathtaking view of our Monterey bay habitat and you will leave it with a newfound love and admiration for the ocean, making the rest of your coastal sight-seeing more enjoyable. If you are looking to avoid crowds, plan your visit after 3pm (most families with children have left by now) and you will have many exhibits to yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy travels!