We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HI Express Pacifica

Vancouver, BC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
HI Express Pacifica

I'll be travelling with my 78 yr old Dad in Sept. We'll have a rental car for 3 days and just like to drive around and sightsee.

Would the HI Express Pacifica be a good choice for us to spend time along the coast and a little time in SF.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HI Express Pacifica

The ideal situation would be to get a hotel room in SF when you're visiting SF, and to get a hotel room in a place like Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz to tour the coast. But if you want to stay in a single hotel and do both, then the Holiday Inn Express would probably work well. There's another hotel nearby called the Best Western Lighthouse which is right on the beach.

I'd much rather stay near the ocean than near the airport. Just be aware that Pacifica's pretty quiet, which may or may not appeal to you.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HI Express Pacifica

For anyone who can use public transit, we generally suggest not having a car in San Francisco, but considering that your dad is 78, we'll scratch our usual advice. In your case, since you'll likely do most of your sightseeing by car, staying in Pacifica would be OK.

The HIE is at Rockaway Beach, a quaint little neighborhood right by the ocean with a few shops and restaurants. There is a visitor center where you can get ideas on other things to do in the area. Rockaway is not a hotbed of nightlife, but it's ideal if you like being by the coast. People go there to surf, fish, and walk along the beach. Nick's is a good place for late breakfast thru dinner (open at 9:00 a.m.) with views of the ocean. The BW has an Italian restaurant, and there are a couple of small diner places. Other restaurants are nearby to the north and south and there is huge supermarket about half a mile south. On Wednesday afternoons Rockaway has a farmer's market where you can get fresh produce and some prepared foods.

Other than the HIE and BW, there are two smaller indie motels, the Pacifica Motor Inn and Sea Breeze. I've stayed at both because Pacifica is one of my choices for a quick getaway from the big city. They are more economical and spartan, but clean and adequate.

Edited: 02 July 2010, 15:36
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HI Express Pacifica

Another vote in favor of Pacifica, since you've got a car and are interested in spending time both the City and coastside. As Frisco_Roadrunner mentioned, on Wednesday's between 2:30 and 6:30 PM there's a pleasant farmer's market http://www.coastsidefarmersmarket.org/ where you can pick up some fresh fruit as well as prepared goodies to sustain you on your peregrinations. Foodwise, just avoid the hideous Red Hot Masala (formerly Oceans of India) Indian restaurant just north of Rockaway Beach Avenue on Highway One, and you'll be fine. Just south of you at Linda Mar Boulevard, across the Highway from the Safeway is Pedro Point, where there's a budding strip of restaurants including High Tides, which has tasty savory and sweet crepes as well as some hot sandwiches and salads and Nona's Kitchen http://www.nonaskitchen.com/ with a rather eclectic but tasty menu and a chef/owner who's got serious public relations/anger management issues, as well as a Mexican restaurant and a local chain pizza place.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HI Express Pacifica

Don't forget the world famous Taco Bell on the beach (#9-ranked fast food joint in the US), about a mile south of the Holiday Inn Express.

Gorilla BBQ, about a mile north of the Holiday Inn Express, is also pretty popular. …blogspot.com/2010/07/time-for-second-rail-c…

High Tides cafe is great. Among the best omelettes I've ever had.

The chef at Nona's makes Gordon Ramsay look like a choir boy. Wonderful food, though.

Vancouver, BC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HI Express Pacifica

Thanks for all the information on Pacifica.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HI Express Pacifica

We have a lot of experience with the Holiday Inn Express chain. Every one we have stayed in has been fairly new, with spacious rooms. Some, if not all, have pools. There is a free cooked breakfast.

I think the advice in the messages above is excellent. Have a good trip.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HI Express Pacifica

The HIE in Pacifica doesn't have a pool. The only hotel at Rockaway that does is the BW, and I think it's outdoor. A swimming pool in Pacifica is almost a waste of space and water. The beach rarely gets warmer than the 70s F.

You could go for a dip in the ocean, which is a few steps from the door for all of these hotels. But it is cold and the surfers typically wear full suits that make them look like shiny, luscious seals and attractive to sharks or polar bears.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HI Express Pacifica

I completely agree F-R, just mentioning the amenities that SOME HIE's have.

I think they are a very good value.....would choose them every time over a Best Western,,,,,,,and we have a lot of experience with them as well <grin>.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HI Express Pacifica

P.S. I've been meaning to try this. There is a branch of Segway at Rockaway Beach, where they lead tours. It looks like fun, and it's probably a better place to learn than the wilds of downtown San Francisco. The tours start at Rockaway Beach and last 2 hours, including the beaches, hills, and rock quarry (probably on the hill near Mori Point, above Sharp Park Golf Course).

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HI Express Pacifica

The Segway tour sounds perfect for 78-year old dad!!

Get answers to your questions about Pacifica