We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach to Palm Desert?

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Long Beach to Palm Desert?

We will be flying into Long Beach on a Tuesday afternoon. How long will the drive be to Palm Desert? How is traffic around 3 pm?

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Palm Desert
Palm Desert
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,918 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

>>>How is traffic around 3 pm?<<<

Vile.

I'd go have dinner in Downtown Long Beach or the Queen Mary, see a few sights and head to PS after 6:30PM.

The drive to PS should be 2 hours. It could be 4 hours at 3PM.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,906 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

Unless you like sitting in traffic, wait until after dinner. Like Scott said, a two hour drive can easily turn into 4 at that hour.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

Oh yeah- I wouldn't begin a trip across the LA Basin at 3pm. Go down to Belmont Shore area of LB or Main St, Seal Beach. Early dinner and a little stroll. Leave at 6:30-7.

(Beachwood BBQ and Brewery in Seal Beach is great. Afterward you can walk out on the pier.)

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

Wow, that's a shocker. I thought we would be safe at 3. How about the drive from PD to LB? Our flight leaves at 11:30 am. How much time should we allow to get to the airport?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

Are you returning on a weekday too?

(You can, of course leave at 3pm, but you'll be sitting in traffic. Which frustrates me, but maybe OK for you? I was just told that LA has some of the worst traffic in the world.)

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

Returning on a Friday morning. For the arrival, I think by the time we get the rental car, it will be around 4.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

We sometimes have to wait until 3 PM on the dot, to leave the coast to drive to Palm Springs/Desert. That's because we have to wait for the school bell to ring. We are packed ready to drive, and the kid jumps in the car. If your plane landed later than 3, I would take the advice of others. If your plane landed earlier and you got your luggage and car by 3 PM I'd say go for it. Right now I checked at 3 PM and it says 2 hr 37 min to PS from LB.

Yes, it takes longer to drive out, but not more than an hour extra. We know this by dozens of 3 PM travels. We would rather the car leaving at 3 gets there at 6 PM to join us for dinner, then showing up at 9 PM. On days when my husband gets off work at 5 PM he waits until 7 PM to drive to join us.

From Long Beach, people might take the 91 out, and we find that a bottleneck without the Fast Pass. Take the 605 up to the 60 and take that E until it merges with the 10 toward PS. Check out that route at the time you will be using it to see what the traffic is like.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
8. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2017, 01:43
9. Re: Long Beach to Palm Desert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2018, 05:16