We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

Ohio
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

If I go to mapqest it shows I 15 route. would someone be able to give me directions going through the desert? I assume you take I 95. Thank you

Ohio
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

bump

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

Hi

One of my favorite drives is the drive through Mojave National Preserve. Take exit 272 to Cima and Kelso or drive to Baker, see the big thermometer and drive Kelbaker Road to Kelso. Visit the traindepot and continue on Klbaker road to Kelso dunes and to I40. Cross I40 and continue till your reach old R66 (National Trails hw) Follow R66 to the right to Amboy. See Roy's cafe, Amboy Crater and the salt mines. Drive Amboy road from Amboy till you hit the town of Twentynine Palms. See the murals in 29 Palms and continue on ca62 to Palm Springs and to Palm Desert. Another option is to visit magnificent Joshua Tree NP. Drive to the south entrance of this NM and take I10 to Palm Desert.

The drive from Las Vegas to 29 Palms app. is 225 miles. Bring water, fill your tank. The roads are all sealed but deserted. It's a great desert drive. You also mentioned us95. That's another option yes. Drive this road to the exit to Goffs (some miles before your reach I40. Drive the old stretch R66 to Amboy and to 29Palms again. I prefer the drive through MNP though but the other route also is a genuine desert drive.

Tet

Palm Desert, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

Be sure to check the weather report before you leave. These roads can be washed out by flash flooding. The weather has been very active lately with thunderstorms in this area. If in doubt, stay on the freeway and be safe.

Ohio
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

thank you for your replies - any others?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

Ok, here's another one.

Drive is93 to I40. Drive I40 for a short stretch to exit 44. Drive R66 to Sitgreaves Pass and the (ghost?) town of Oatman. Continue on 66 to Topock. On I40 again (left) to exit 9 and drive to Lake Havasu City. See London Bridge. See Parker Dam. South to Parker and 62 to Vidal Junction and to 29 Palms. 62 also is a nice road. See graffiti on the ramp along this road.

These were the routes I'm familiar with. Have fun

Tet

6. Re: Driving from Vegas to Palm Desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 17:19