We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

Which Palm Desert hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

I am starting to research vacation for next spring break for family of 4 with kids ages 5 and 7. I have never been to the PS area and don't know where the best area to stay is. What are the differences with each location? We don't need much, just a clean hotel or condo with a decent pool, and family friendly restaurants close by. I would love to stay under $200 a night if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

Will you have a rental car? If yes, than I would stay in either Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage. If no, than you would want to stay somewhere you can easily walk to/from so downtown Palm Springs would be the better option. Spring break in PS area is very busy so make sure you book up to a year in advance.

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

Spring Break is certainly high season, so under $200 will be a challenge if you want a great resort.

My suggestion would be to start looking at timeshare websites like redweek.com, myresortnetwork.com and tug2.net and see what some rentals are going for. What's nice about timeshares is you get all the amenities of a full resort like the pools and often restaurants but with larger accomodations (a full condo with kitchen and all). We have really enjoyed staying at a couple of very nice properties in Palm Desert and with the kids, the extra room and been so nice. Plus we save tons of money by mostly eating at our condo.

Best of luck!

Janna

Santa Barbara...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

We stay in this area 3 to 4 times a year. The downtown area of Plam Springs is ok but Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert is much nicer. We usually stay at the Westin Mission Hills. They have a hotel and tiemshare units within the resort. We have a car since we live in So Cal. but one is not needed unless you want to go out a lot. There is a great shopping area call the River which has several good rest., some shops and a large movie theater.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

I knew under $200/nt during spring break was going to be a challenge so I am happy I have found 2 options. Embassy Suites in La Quinta (NOT the Palm Desert one, they got terrible reviews) is available for $200/nt and Best Western Las Brisas in Palm Springs is available for about $113/nt. Both offer full breakfast and free parking, BW offers free internet but ES is a 2 room suite. These are 2 totally different locations. Both hotels get good reviews but I am leaning towards the ES. Would Palm Springs be too wild with the "Largest Girl Party" going on or would it be worth the savings to stay at the BW? Thanks for all the advice!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

"Would Palm Springs be too wild with the "Largest Girl Party" going on or would it be worth the savings to stay at the BW?"

Yes, take your family to ES in La Quinta. We've gone to the desert for 30 years for Spring Break/Easter vacation so know the difference when 7,000 people hit PS. We like the newer towns now.

La Quinta has a nice "old town" feeling to it. Go over to the LQ Resort off Eisenhower Dr. and walk around the beautiful grounds. In the evenings they have live music,a firepit where you can order appetizers and drinks, your children are free to dance with the other kids (the musicans give them instruments to shake) or have dinner at El Adobe Grill. There is also a great Pizza place in old town.

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

What about a Homewood suites by Hilton? There is one in Palm Desert and one in La Quinta (both new). On Mon-Thurs. evenings they offer a free dinner which is actually quite nice. Most properties also offer free beer and wine too. I saw the menu for the La Quinta property for June and was surprised how nice the food sounded. The pool area there is also quite nice, although not huge.

We just stayed at the Del Mar Homewood suites with our two kids and ate dinner every night for free and the food was very good.

Every Homewood suites also has a hot breakfast every morning that is quite extensive.

Cheers!

chicago, il
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

How ironic, I just looked at Homewood Suites La Quinta yesterday, their rate was just a little higher than Embassy Suites but did not realize they included dinner. The pool looks really nice, will give that some consideration. Only found the one in La Quinta, could not find one in Palm Desert. Also, came across a property in an old forum post of International Lodge, looks really nice, do you know of it? The post was almost 2 years ago. I may post a new topic to see if anyone else knows of it. Rates on their internet site look good, but they are closed for the summer to get excact price. Will call them early September. Thanks for all the advice everyone, it really helps when you are going to a place for the first time!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

The International Lodge does not turn on their a/c until April, so if you were going around that time, trust me, you might need it. That is why they close down in summer.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

Thanks CA, important information. We would be there 3/28 to 4/4 so when I call for rates, I will be sure to ask if the a/c would be on. Other than that, is the property one you would recommend?

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palm Springs vs. Palm Desert vs. Rancho Mirage

I thought the property in Palm Desert was open now, maybe not?

I'm not sure I'd want to stay there anyway. It was located very close to the FWY and will probably get quite a bit of wind. The La Quinta location was more desirable. The pool area was very nicely landscaped and I recall the patio area next to it having really nice furniture and lots of wonderful shaded areas to sit. It was all quite lovely and I would like to stay sometime. The menu for dinner was much nicer sounding than I expected. Think of the money and hassle you would save by eating there! No waiting at restaurants for seating, and NO BILL. Yeah.