We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Los Angeles to palm desert

1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Los Angeles to palm desert

HI ill be driving first time in LA .i need to go from LA TO PALM DESERT.Where should i stay in LA in order to be able to avoid too much traffic. . downtown? hollywood? or close to airport .ill book my hotel accordingly.secondly i would much appreciate the exact freeway route to be taken. regards.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Los Angeles to palm desert

Hello, krishna k, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Palm Desert forum.

As someone new to TripAdvisor, I know nothing about you. . . where you are from, age, travel style, what interests you, and the like. These informational tidbits can be added into your traveler profile by clicking on your username above and "filling in the blanks" so to speak. This allows those of us who answer your questions to know some basic information about you so we may give the best answer possible.

As far as your trip this time out, what are your desires and expectations for your trip? High budget, middle of the road, or low budget? How many are in your party, and how many children are with you, and how old are they? Do you want to see certain parts of the Los Angeles metro area, and/or stay in a lodging in a particular area, or does it not matter? What time of the day will you depart for Palm Desert? How many days will you stay in Los Angeles metro area? How many in Palm Desert? Are there any other places you intend to go to (so a full picture of your itinerary is made known)? How many days for your trip in all? With specifics given, it becomes much easier for people to give responses back to you.

The Palm Desert forum is not read nearly as much as the Los Angeles forum. To get more and better responses, I would repost your question - with more details and background as explained above - to the LA forum. Besides, that's the forum that discusses Los Angeles, and has some Top Questions there that will help you - I'd click on the "Where to Stay in LA?" Top Question. They're in the top right hand corner. Here's the link to it: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Ang…

All that said. . . my general stock response is this: there's no one place where you can avoid traffic in LA metro. Some are better than others, and the farther east you go, the easier the drive to Palm Desert becomes (depending on the time of day, which I still don't know). With that in mind, try these possibilities:

High budget/historical interest: Mission Inn, Riverside

Middle budget: Best Western West Covina Inn, West Covina

Economy budget: Motel 6 Los Angeles - Arcadia/Pasadena

I've either stayed at or visited all of the above lodgings which are east of the Los Angeles city limits, but in the Los Angeles metropolitan area of Southern California. Arcadia is the furthest west locaion, and Riverside is the furthest east location.

With that said. . . note this:

If you are getting off the plane from a far away country in the middle of the night, tired and needing a good sleep, just go to a LAX airport area hotel. Prices are less than elsewhere in a lot of LA, and the convenience is obvious and welcome. The Westin Los Angeles Airport would be a good choice; there are others as well. These LAX hotels are not where you typically spend more than one night. . . there are better locations for seeing the area depending of course on your interests.

A good route from LAX to Palm Desert is this: Interstate 105/Century Freeway east to Interstate 605/San Gabriel River Freeway north to Interstate 210/Foothill Freeway east to Interstate 15 south to Interstate 10 east. This avoids the worst places and problem spots - SigAlerts - in the LA metro freeway grid. None of the above lodgings are on this route, so adjust accordingly for your choice.

Feel free to post again with a followup question(s), especially after you've made a choice of lodging. You'll find folks here on the forums friendly and willing to help. . . especially our international visitors.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Los Angeles to palm desert

I drive form Orange county to palm desert often, I would say anytime before 1 pm is good. After 3pm forget it. It is fine in the morning you are going against traffic

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Los Angeles to palm desert

Highway 10 East....can't miss it.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Driving from Los Angeles to palm desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 19:20
Get answers to your questions about Palm Desert