We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Desert car-less excursions?

Which Palm Desert hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Desert car-less excursions?

Hi,

We're heading to Palm Desert for a couple of days this month, but we won't have a car. Is there any way to get around without one? Any way to get to the beaches near LA or San Diego?

If we do rent a car, what are the best/closest beach areas -- or places to visit that won't be as hot as the desert?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

Palm Desert is 2hrs. away from the closest beaches in either Orange County or San Diego!

I really wouldn't stay in the desert for a trip to the beach but everyone travels differently!

How are you getting OUT to Palm Desert without a car???

It would really be easier for you if you had one.

There ARE buses but you can't get anywhere but tof the local areas on the bus.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 21:36
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

Do yourself a favor and rent a car. The Palm Springs area is very spread out.

You can ride the Sunline bus around the valley, but it does not go to places like the tram. In that case , you would need a taxi.Without a car, you will be doing alot of walking, or alot of waiting for a bus.

I'm curious too. How are you getting to the desert in the first place?

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

I'll be flying into Palm Springs and then taking a shuttle to the resort in Palm Desert (where I'll be attending a conference). I was hoping to escape for a day without the expense of a car. Is it possible to get a day rental from Palm Desert (rather than the airport)?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

Yes, you can rent a car in Palm Desert.I usually use Enterprise,and renting away from the airport is much cheaper. If you need to return the car on a Sunday or later than 6pm, you will need to use the airport.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

This advice is sound and people aren't just being anti-transit (in case you thought that). That area is really not set up for transit, nor does it have much transit service.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,823 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

It's two hours to drive to the beaches of LA near LAX if you are interested in driving all the way there. For return, leave after work commute time at 7 PM. Coming in the last 18 miles west on the 105 will let you off at the airport. Get off at the end and head south on Sepulveda Blvd. several miles to Manhattan Beach.

http://mapq.st/JiyiK3

Video of family friendly MB beach at the Pier, getting ready for a volleyball tournament, surfers, bike riders, boogie boarders:

www.youtube.com/watch…

7. Re: Palm Desert car-less excursions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:16