We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding on a resort...help!

Montreal
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding on a resort...help!

Hi, I've been on tripadvisor for days now and cannot decide which property to reserve. We are 35 yr. old couple (no kids) traveling in Aug for the first time in the Palm Desert area. Hyatt Indian Wells came highly recommended, however some low reviews are creating doubt in my selection.

Here's what we are looking for:

Large resort

Adult pool, with a bar and with a nice vibe (not looking for a bagatelle in the day, nor pin-drop silence)

Good food on site (we are definitely foodies!)

Nicely appointed rooms (trendy, and luxurious)

Spa and Fitness center are a must

Some of the other options we are looking at are:

Westin, JW Marriott, Parker Palms...

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

The Hyatt Regency in Indian Wells, just off Hwy. 111 would be what you are looking for. We've stayed there a number of times. They have 7 pools, but a fabulous adults only pool, so young kids won't be doing cannonballs into the pool.

Their Spa is very luxurious

www.indianwells.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

You can head in one direction to the great restaurants in Rancho Mirage, or the other in La Quinta.

Level Contributor
36,364 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

We enjoyed our stay at The Westin in Rancho Mirage. You may also want to check out The Renaissance Esmeralda. :)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

We loved our huge corner room overlooking the pool at the Esmeralda. Had 2 balconies. Pool was great and the pool bar was convenient

Montreal
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

Hi CAnative! Thanks for your msg! Should I be concerned about the negative reviews of the Hyatt? They're pretty consistent-

-Resort showing signs of age

-Cleanliness/hygiene comments

-Staff not being friendly?

Usually I take negative reviews with a grain of salt but the consistency of similar complaints is what caught my eye.

I have a couple of other questions:

1. we are planning a week in Aug- would you say the weather is similar to Vegas in Aug-or hotter?

(I went to Vegas last year in Aug, it was hot but being from Montreal- we like it)

2. Which one of the nearby places (coastal) is conducive for what we like: was thinking Newport beach, Laguna beach or Santa Monica to spend a couple of days. Somewhere with good food, nice pool scene again (rooftop?) and lounges/supper clubs in the area?

Thanks for your help!

Montreal
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

@syrahgirl and suzie-travels...were there mainly adults at the Esmerelda or the Westin resorts? Do they have adult pools?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

Here are the latest reviews on the Hyatt in Indian Wells from Trip Advisor as of this week, most all give it a 5* review.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32523-d77311-R…

We last stayed there two months ago and didn't experience any negatives, in fact Hyatt staff are always the best! We like the large rooms, the step down area with sofa and TV and large balconies. The adult only pool is fantastic with misters to help cool off the cement around the pools, there are ice cold water stations. We like having the pools built around a palm tree grove to help cool off the grounds in the heat.

I would not go with the cheapest room in any resort, with views of the parking lot. We like to upgrade to the Regency level at the Hyatt on the 5th floor with our Gold Passport points, it's overlooking the pool, and their lounge serves a nice breakfast in the morning or appetizers in the evening.

We've stayed a half dozen times at the Esmeralda with our golf group in January, it's a beautiful resort, and they have one large pool for everyone with sand at one end. When kids are in school, we've not had to share lounges with families during the week in winter, might have a hard time finding a lounge in summer as there are many kids running around.

The weather is hot out there right now, we won't be back until September, even then it can be over a 100 degrees. If you like Vegas this time of year, then PS will be the same.

Yes, you should drive the two hours to one of the coastal cities for a couple days. You could take the 10 freeway in PS to the end in SM. What is your budget for lounging, the beach resorts are the opposite of PS in summer, they are very expensive. I live near Santa Monica, and Shutters, Casa del Mar or Loew's hotels are at beach level, with views of the Santa Monica Pier and famous Ferris Wheel which is lit all night. Lots of restaurants and clubs and Third Street Promenade in SM.

www.latourist.com/index.php…

Newport and Laguna Beach are also great to visit, about an hours south of LA. All beach cities will be busy during the August summer months.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

There is only 1 large pool at the Esmeralda. I'm not really bothered by families with children when I'm on vacay though. I'd just sit at the deep end of the pool if the kids were too rowdy, rather than the sandy shallow entrance where the families gather..

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,683 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

Palm Springs will be blistering hot in August. Today's high is going to be 111ºF.

weather.com/weather/…USCA0828

Montreal
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

Thanks all this is great feedback...I really appreciate it. I will be booking the Indian wells, and 2 nights in Santa Monica :) As a backup (my husband really wants to go to PS, in case its way too hot, we'll try to leave and head to SM earlier)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deciding on a resort...help!

What about the Marriott?

Get answers to your questions about Palm Desert
Recent Conversations