We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

K C
Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

Hi All, Thanks for such great info on the board. We are in our 50's and traveling without kids traveling at the end of September. Staying at Marriott Desert Villas II.

We like local, outdoor, bar, great view, fun conversations, good food..... Not afraid of prices (hubby likes seafood - and we don't mind eating it at a bar or outside or in a casual restaurant!) but do like to mix it up while on vacation. We always skip the usual chains. Presently, I have Old Towne La Quinta, The Falls, Tommy Bahama, Tyler's Burgers, Trio, Miro's, Spencers, Matchbox and Copleys on my list for dinners.

Would appreciate any additional recommendations, pros, cons and happy hour places!

And - if you wouldn't mind answering - is it busy with kids this time of year???

Thanks all

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,210 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

September is school time. I wouldn't expect to see many kids.

You've got a great list already. Add Jackolope Ranch on 111 in La Quinta to your plan, especially for apply hour. Outdoor gardens and dining areas are awesome. We did our son's wedding there last spring.

On El Paseo I'd trade Tommy Bahama for Pacifica in a second.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

We just came back from 4 days in Palm Desert with our family. There won't be kids during the weekdays in September, but weekends and holidays are very popular for families year around, so you'll see them in the restaurants and usual places like the Tram, Living Desert, etc. The desert is just a two hour drive from the LA and other areas of CA, so it's an easy trip.

Eureka!, a new burger place we tried, is in the former Le St. Germaine space on the corner of Cook and Hwy. 111 Great burgers, 30 beers on tap, salads, outdoor patio (but too hot last weekend).

mydesert.com/article/20130813/LIFESTYLES0201…

I agree with Pacifica over Tommy Bahama's on El Paseo.

We had a dinner at Roy's Restaurant (Hawaiian Fusion) in Rancho Mirage for my husband's Birthday. I had the best Mahi mahi, and the other fish the family had was excellent as well. They have a Aloha Happy Hour every night from 4:30 to 6:30 PM.

roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/rancho_mirag…

We were going to go to one of our favorite restaurants, Acqua Pazza, at The River Entertainment Center after a movie, but the large lagoon is drained again, and the center is full of empty spaces. The Movie theatre is still good.

Cork Tree in Palm Desert has wonderful CA Cuisine.

http://www.thecorktree.com/

Hummelstown, pa
Level Contributor
294 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

For a romantic outdoor dinner I like Jillians off El Paseo. Spanish courtyard and very good food. Anywhere outside on El Paseo allows you to people watch. I also like Pacifica for good seafood. But I like Tommy Bahama's as well. More as a lunch spot. Downtown Palm Springs has many outdoor restaurants. My favorite for a lively group is Las Casuelas. Usually have live music and very good mexican food. For quiet dinner head to North Palm Canyon. I like Al Dente for italian on the porch. Since your going to be in Palm Desert you might also want to go to the Desert Willow Golf course and their Firecliff restaurant. An awesome patio overlooking the golf course and very good food as well. Great Steaks at LG's in La Quinta but if you want to be outside go to the LG's in Palm Springs. Great patio for a great steak and people watching.

Dedham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

We are staying at the Westin Desert willow villas in mid October and are looking for things and the best restaraunt that are close by with the best scenes ......we are a couple in our mid 50's with no kids...any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

The Cork Tree restaurant is excellent, right at Cook and Country Club Dr. near you.

What kind of scene are you looking for? The nightclub, Costas, is located right at the JW Marriott also on Country Club in Palm Desert.

Hummelstown, pa
Level Contributor
294 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

There is one place I forgot to mention.

Cafe Italia on the corner of Cook and Hwy 111. A little Italian restaurant in a strip mall with outside seating and waiters that sing! All are trained singers and range from opera to show tunes. The food is pretty good as well.

Enjoy

Level Contributor
35,933 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

There is a very nice patio at BluEmber@ Rancho Las Palmas Resort. We have dined there twice now and enjoyed it very much. :)

Dedham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

Thanks so much for the reply ...no club scene for us....lol I meant view (scene) gardens, golf course, etc!!

Hummelstown, pa
Level Contributor
294 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

Well one of the finest golf course scenes is right at Desert Willow. On the patio for drinks and good food.

Dedham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Outdoor local eateries? Happy Hours?

Very good thanks for your help...this is our first visit...is there anything that we must see....or do as far as tours etc. we were thinking of the star house tour ...5 star adventure tour I think its called?//