We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

Reading, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

Hi Everyone,

In late August me and my family (Wife and two boys, 16 and 15) will be driving from Palm Desert (following a two week stay) to the Grand Canyon Southern Rim. Then the next day we do GC to LV and the day after that LV to LAX, so I have a lot of driving to day. Mad I know.

Anyway, specifically on the PD to GC drive, we'll be taking the most direct route which I believe is I-10 to the 62, 95 and then I-40 (suggestions welcome if this isn't the best way). My question is are there regular places to stop to stretch our legs and visit the washroom if necessary on the way? I haven't driven long distances in the US for about 20 years, way before having a family, and I realise that the particular route we've chosen is very much across country. For that reason I want to make sure that there's regular places to stop along the way.

Any help or tips you can offer will be greatfully received.

Cheers,

Jamie

Mentioned in this post
Palm Desert
Palm Desert
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Special Offer
Thames Hop-On Hop-Off River Cruise
391 Reviews
from US$22.84*
US$25.38
Special Offer
River Thames Sunset Sightseeing Cruise
60 Reviews
from US$35.30*
US$39.30
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

I suggest you go into Google Maps, pan and zoom to the area, then do a search within Google Maps for:

rest area

There are some on the interstates but few if any on the other roads.

2. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 20:01
Edited: 17 September 2014, 20:01
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

August in Palm Desert, huh? Be sure to take the tram to the top of the mountain to escape the heat.

www.pstramway.com

That route Copper just suggested is nice.

If you do go the route that you first mentioned, you can either take 95 on the CA side of the river, or cross the Parker Dam and drive the AZ side of the river and see the London Bridge at Havasu. Then hit I-40.There is a shoe fence in Rice to look at, but from 29 Palms to the river is pretty lonely.(trucks,people pulling boats)

Another option is take Amboy Road from 29 Palms to Roys motel/cafein Amboy. Then run Route 66 to I-40.

On the way from GC to Vegas, you could take R-66 from Kingman to Oatman, the head to Vegas via Laughlin. Or take 93 from Kingman with maybe stops at Chloride (Digger Daves Bar/Grill).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/digger-daves-chloride

Or stop at Willow Beach below Hoover Dam, or stop at Hoover and do the dam/bypass bridge walk.Willow has a fish hatchery and marina.Pics

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Palm Desert
Palm Desert
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Parker
Parker
Arizona
London Bridge
London Bridge
1,417 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Kingman
Kingman
Arizona
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

i hope you realize how hot it will be in palm desert. if so, great...if not, you might want to check out the averages. i wouldn't want to spend 2 weeks in the desert in the summer.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

If you want to drive to GC from Palm Desert fastest way I forget about detours and take I10-177-62-95 to I40 and drive east to Williams and north to GC. That already will be a 7 hours drive. Your time at the rim already is limited.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Palm Desert
Palm Desert
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Williams
Williams
Arizona
6. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:20
Edited: 16 September 2014, 06:20
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,948 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

I would sacrifice a few of those PD days for a decent amount of time at the Grand Canyon National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

I said app 7 hours. You'll never get to 62 east of 29Palms. I10 east and at Desert Center to 177 and 62 after that. This is the major truckroute and 95 is a straight flat line to I40. But I agree with Copper that for a more scenic route the drive via Prescott is recommended and I also agree with RedRox to give up time in PD and make it a more leisurely trip. Btw 62 east of 29Palms is an interesting desert drive imo with "dips" and cute graffiti on the ramps of the railway tracks but it definitely is not on the way from Palm Desert.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Palm Desert
Palm Desert
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Reading, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

Thanks everyone for taking time out to provide your thoughts and comments. It sounds like the best option is to take the route that Copper suggests. Taking a look on Google, it certainly breaks the scenery up a bit.

As for some of your other questions...

Heat - Yes, we know it'll be hot, probably not aware quite what 100+ deg F feels like, but heat + pool + misters + A/C = a very happy me, hopefully.

Time spent at each destination - we cannot change our plans now really. Each night is pre booked. I agree that it would be nicer to have an extra day in GC but that part of the holiday (and LV) was a bit of an add on really due to our flight home being Friday night and our time in PD ending on Wednesday.

I'm sure I'll have more questions before our trip so thanks so far.

Jamie

10. Re: Driving from Palm Desert to Grand Canyon in a day

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 15:29
Get answers to your questions about Palm Desert