We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Topic
Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

4 of us, all in our 40's, are planning for a week in the area in early March. We're golfers, wine drinkers, and fine diners. Wondering which community is better to stay in for the above activities. We're also thinking of trying to find a condo so that we can get 2 bedrooms and bath.

Any advice much appreciated.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

We like Palm Desert for our stays in the desert. Check out Vrbo.com for condo rentals. (vacation rentals by owner) We usually stay in condos in Desert Falls Country Club, but there are many to choose from. Lots of great restaurants along Hwy. 111.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

Yes, Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage/Indian Wells are more upscale than Palm Springs.

Personally I would try to be close to El Paseo in Palm Desert so that I could walk to shopping and restaurants.

Palm Springs has the advantage that there are a lot of hotels and resorts near Palm Canyon so you don't have to drive a lot to shop and dine.

California
Level Contributor
929 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

Unfortunately , I have to agree with the others. Palm Desert will be better suited for your agenda. I was recently shocked , upon returning , to see what had become of Palm Springs since I used to live there 27 years ago. As I understand it from local friends, it went downhill as soon as Sonny Bono became Mayor and instituted a host of restrictions on peoples activities several years ago (a far cry from the way I remember him -- he used to "order-up" naive blondes with his cocktails from the obliging club owners at Zelda's, Pal Joey's and Cecil's . The place is now like a ghost-town compared to what it once was. What a shame -- P.S. was a great place. All the new money has gone into Palm Desert , Indian Wells and La Quinta.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

Palm Desert...no doubt about it. It's a little more upscale the Palm Springs, but close enough that you can drive over and check out the main drag if you have any interest.

Marriott Desert Springs has villas that you can rent...they are right on the JW Marriott property and close to golf courses and spa. It's also a short drive from El Paseo where you will find many great restaurants and shops.

I strongly recommend you try Omri & Boni's in La Quinta and Wally's Desert Turtle. Both are fantastic dining experiences.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

I believe DMcD's opinions about Sonny Bono are inaccurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono

travellady.com/Issues/Issue69/69L-Sony-Bono-…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/45029.stm

In fact, the local people were so pleased with his job as mayor that the lelected him to represent them in Congress.

6. Re: Palm Springs vs Palm Desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Palm Desert