We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

OK--need some suggestions from my Palm Springs folks here on TA! I'll be visiting Palm Springs for a convention from Sept 27-30th, 2007. Have never been there. Hotel rates (they claim they are special rates but seem pricey to me range from $102 for the Courtyard Marriott to $163 at the Wyndham Palm Springs). Is this a good deal? I'm a middle age lady, traveling alone, at my own expense, and don't really want to spend that much money. Need to be near the Convention Center. Any suggestions on inexpensive (but clean and safe) places to stay? Also, do I need to rent a car? I will be in meetings for some days, other days optional tours to San Diego are offered, as well as desert tours so I thought I would take in those. But will I need wheels to go and do other things? Any suggestions on things to see and do there? Maybe I will spend a few extra days. I love history, historical sites and all desert things in general. Recommendations for inexpensive but good comfort food?

Is it best to fly into Palm Springs airport or is there another airport that would be just as accessible? I'll be flying in from the East Coast. I welcome all suggestions!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

The hotel prices are very good considering that you are going to be there over a weekend. Both hotels are walking distance to the convention center, so I would choose the cheaper one.

Yoy can walk to the downtown area but you might want a car to explore on your own. You should take the ride on the tram up to the top of the mountain. You might enjoy visiting the Indian Canyons in the South part of town. Joshua Tree National is a short drive from Palm Springs.

Be sure to go to the downtown area on Thursday night for the Street fare and Farmer's Market. There will be food stands set up on Palm Canyon Drive. For eating, the downtown is full of eating places for all prices. For Mexican, Las Casuelas is very good and fun. The Fish Market REstuarnat behind Las Casuelas on Indian AVe is very good and has good early bird specials. The Kaiser Grille is very good. Sherman's Deli, Ruby's for a good hamburger and a number of very good steak houses on Palm Canyon(FAlls,LG's,Chop House).

The desert is beautiful and will have started to cool off a little bit when you are there.

Enjoy!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

The Wyndham is closer to the PSCC, but the Courtyard is clean though and not a bad choice- $102 is reasonable for Palm Springs. It's also very close- and walkable, September is still very warm here- until the sun goes down.

Both hotels are about one mile from the airport if you're flying into PSP. Otherwise Ontario airport is 75 miles and you may as well rent the car there. Rates are usually cheaper into Ontario but shop aruond as that will really add a ot of travel time to yuor stay.

chicago
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

If you want to see the best part of the desert, go on tour with Elite Land Tours. I did it and saw so much and was very impressed with the guide's knowledge. I did the Joshua Tree Adventure but they have others to choose from. Have fun!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

" I love history, historical sites "

There is a lot of Indian history here and also several sites of the early PS pioneers.

Also, great examples of mid-century architecture. Much of this can be found in the downtown area.

The Art Museum is downtown as well.

www.psmuseum.org

5. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2007, 05:12
California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

both hotels are actually good prices for PS

I would choose the Wyndham, it is very close to Conv Ctr

you could take cabs around if you don't want to get a car but a car will allow you more freedom

the PS airport would be most convenient

there are lots of food choices in PS, something for every one

you will have no problem finding any type of food at a variety of prices

there are museums, galleries and indian history as previous posts have mentioned...pick up some literature at your hotel and they can help you with any activities and sights you are interested in

7. Re: Visiting Palm Springs, CA for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 15:17