We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
il
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

Hi- we have two kids- boy(9) and girl (6) and will be staying in Rancho Mirage the week of December 25th. Would be interested in any suggestions for activities- museums, jeep tours, sports, etc. We will have a car but would prefer not to travel more than 45 minutes each way.

Thanks much.

JB

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

What a great place during the holidays!

Chidren's Discovery museum in Rancho Mirage

Indian Canyons: some easy hiking and beautiful oasis type environment. Also nice place for a picnic. Close to downtown Palm Springs.

Living Desert: this place rocks! It's a zoo/botanical gardens and is beautiful. The kids will love it. They have a few live animal shows per day so be sure to check out their website and plan your trip accordingly. I'd suggest arriving in the morning around 9 or 9:30, see some animals, possible take in an animal show, have lunch, then see some more and leave by 2:30 or so. This is enough time and kids won't be totally pooped. We are going the 14th to Palm Desert for the week and I can't wait to take my 4 year old there!

Thousand Palms Oasis is a nice little 1/2 day trip. It's about a 20 or 30 min drive from where you will be. It's kinda in the middle of nowhere so to me it's what you'd imagine a real desert oasis to be! They do have a few picnic table nestled amongst the man large Palm Trees, so if it's a warm day I'd consider a picnic lunch. There are a few trails you can walk around and also some sand dunes. I'm not sure if people are allowed to walk on them or not? When I was in highschool and being naughty we did, but that was a long time ago.

There are certainly jeep tours and I've heard they are cool but do not have personal experience with them.

Good luck!!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

Hi

Also: North of Palm Springs off ca62 is Pioneertown. Kids will love to see the old wildwest settlement and don't forget to take the aerial tramway from Palm Springs up the mountain. Bring warm clothes. About clothes. There's a great outlet mall in Carbazon. I hate malls but this one was ok. My wife loved it...

Tet

3. Re: Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2008, 11:52
Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
174 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

To piggyback onto applejanna's reply...

The Living Desert in December has "Wildlights" in the evening.

It's an annual event that kicks off in the evenings between Thanksgiving and New Years. In addition to the lights, there is a model train exhibit, wood-burning fireplaces, food, crafts and nightly entertainment. We do it a couple of times each season. It's fun to get bundled up and walk around all the lighted scenes, have some hot chocolate and listen to music. I really think your kids would enjoy it!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

Don't forget the Tram in Palm Springs to the top of San Jacinto. We took the whole family last Friday. Christmas decorations at the top and bottom of the tram. Discount after 3 PM. Bring a warm jacket for the top.

6. Re: Looking for kid activites in Palm Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:21