We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guidance

Melbourne
Level Contributor
151 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Guidance

Hello,

In April of next year I will be visiting friends in LA, but I am keen to take a sidetrip on my own to Palm Springs. I am thinking rail may be the best option.

I am looking for accommodation suggestions. I want to be in the centre so that I can access shops and restaurants and it does not need to be lavish, but nice-ish. I have read that El Paseo Avenue is a nice location, are there any hotels around here?

Im open to suggestions, Im visiting mainly to take in the post modern architecture and just want to relax for a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guidance

Public transit options have gone away for P.S. Amtrak, the national rail company, no longer stops there. Greyhound, the national bus company, no longer stops there. You can fly from LAX (less than an hour) but fares are about $400. Driving is the best option -- go east on Interstate 10 -- about 2 hours WITHOUT TRAFFIC.

Good luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guidance

Stay in Palm Springs, not Palm Desert, since you want to see the mid-century architecture and be in the center of town. Palm Desert is a suburb with little charm, and lots of shopping centers and largehotels but Palm Springs ismore of a Village and has the smaller Inns and hotels. Plus you can walk anywhere in PS whereas in PD you will have to drive anywhere.

El Paseo is only a 10-15 minute drive to the east from downtown Palm Springs...

Keep in mind that White Party and the Dinah Shore Golf are both in April this year and the hotels will be filling up very quickly....

I don't know your budget but you can start by looking at

Palm Mountain Resort

Best Western Las Brisas

The Chase

Hotel Zoso

Melbourne
Level Contributor
151 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guidance

Thankyou very much for your advice. I will definitely look at the options suggested. I know my dates - they will be 28 April for 2 or 3 nights so I hope this is outside of the special events.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guidance

I think you will miss all the action but that is still a busy time of year, the end of the season...

There is a website for the small inns in PS, try to google it, or maybe someone else can help you with it, there are some charming little places that you will enjoy over the larger hotels

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guidance

If you do decide you'd want to stay in Palm Desert, there are two smallish places that are right behind El Paseo and walkable to the El Paseo restaurants and galleries.

The Mojave Resort. www.resortmojave.com

The Mod Resort. www.modresort.com

I think they're both mid-century and kind of fun and in a great area for Palm Desert.

The Stagecoach Festival is the May 3 & 4. If you like country music at all, this would be a great time to visit.

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
655 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guidance

Flying from LAX to Palm Springs would be quite pricey so I would highly recommend you rent a car and drive. It would be nice to have the car anyway in case you wanted to venture somewhere else. I think the recommendation to stay in downtown Palm Springs is a good one. The Hyatt is nice, we stayed there once.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guidance

Actually, an Amtrak train stops three times a week in each direction, not that that's very good service. I really don't understand what happened to Greyhound--they were there, then gone.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guidance

I think the website PSP was thinking of is smallhotelspalmsprings.com

We've stayed at the Chase hotel a few times and LOVED it to pieces. the location is great, you can walk to all the restaurants and shops, etc.

You'll see some other places in the same couple of blocks at the small hotels site.

9. Re: Guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 11:23