We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joshua Tree Question

USA
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Joshua Tree Question

Hi, I will be visiting Joshua Tree park later this month. I'm wondering if a 4x4 vehicle is necessary or if a regular car is okay. Thanks

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joshua Tree Question

A regular car will take you just about anywhere you'll want to go.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joshua Tree Question

There's some nice four wheeling available outside the fringes of the park.

Boston...
Level Contributor
160 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joshua Tree Question

It really depends on what you want to do while you are visiting Joshua Tree. It is INCREDIABLE and I would suggest getting out of your car and going for a hike. In my opinion 80% of the park is fine with a car rental no need to get a 4x4. You could go on a jeep tour I bet that would be a blast . We loves it and was so impressed with the beauty of it all. Enjoy you will love it!!!

SoCAL
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joshua Tree Question

The Park has nicely paved roads for visiting both the High Desert and the Low Desert. You can drive on the paved routes or take side ventures off on many different dirt roads (only if there are approved signs for vehicles of course). We've done that in non 4x4 vehicles, but it has a higher clearance. I prefer coming in at the North entrance station (which is just east of 29 Palms).

From there you can loop down and then back west -- if you don't have a lot of time exit back out of the park in through the West entrance (make the drive down and up to Keys View though if you can, very nice lookout over the valley). This part of the park has the most Joshua trees and interesting rocks and geology formations. Plenty of side trails (pretty much unpaved but desert sand and gravelly) near parking areas, too, for exploring.

If you have a lot more time, you can drive south all the way trhough the lower desert to the exit of the park that is on I-10. You'll see drastic changes in the ecology of the two desert systems of the park. If the flowers were only blooming, it can be spectacular.

5. Re: Joshua Tree Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 02:19