We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from LAX to PS

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Owatonna, Minnesota
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
driving from LAX to PS

We will be flying into LAX and then renting a car and driving to Palm Springs. It says it's about a 2 hour drive, is that true? What is the best route? Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from LAX to PS

2 hours at best, with absolutely no traffic. Depending on the time of day you will hit traffic, it could easily double the time it takes to get to PS. Id take the 605 North to the 60 East to the 10 East.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from LAX to PS

I don't think we've ever made it in 2 hours. MAYBE 2 1/2, but I would say closer to three is our average, and the last few times, bad traffic and/or construction had made it longer.

Well worth the drive though! :)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from LAX to PS

Hi,

Just back...plz see my 'where we ate' post for great food suggestions! :)

We landed from TX at 9:20am, got our car from Hertz and were on the road by 10:30--great timing; little traffic and we hit the HOV lane. Rent or bring your GPS, it was a real help getting to PSP, and in finding things around that area, as there are about 5 little towns, all about 15 minutes apart,with places to go, food, etc.

You'll see the wind farms as you get close to PSP...really cool!

Enjoy!

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from LAX to PS

..the drive was an easy 2 hours. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,101 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from LAX to PS

I do the drive every month. I allow three hours but usually make it in 2.5. Depending on the time of day you should consider the I-10 instead of 60. There is a morning and afternoon drive-time traffic jam at the 60/215 merge that you will want to avoid.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from LAX to PS

We will be in Santa Monica for 8 days and want to drive to P. S. for a day trip. What days are good days to make the drive and not get caught up in traffic? That said, what are the times of day to avoid the traffic congestion? We can work around that if we wind up making the trip on a busy day...........I'm going to guess that the drive is between 2 and 3 hours with no traffic. Sound right? Are there many "Kodak moments" along the way? Is there a nice place to stop for lunch on the way there? We're coming in early February so that mean that it'll be dark around 5:30 ish. Is the drive back an easy drive in the dark?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from LAX to PS

I'm not an expert on L.A. traffic but coming back in the dark to Santa Monica would be easy--just get on the 10 in Palm Springs and stay there!

It is not a very scenic drive until you get east of Redlands. The wind farm is quite a sight to see, however.

You don't really need to stop for lunch but there is a place called Hadley's--take the off-ramp to the Outlet stores at Cabazon--that is famous for its dates, dried fruits, and other goodies.

Personally I would consider it a pretty long day trip unless you are very keen to see desert.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from LAX to PS

We are pretty keen on seeing the desert but we don't want to rush about and not make the most of the trip. We are going to wait for our next trip and spend a few days so that we can do some pretty serious exploring. Thanks for your help!

9. Re: driving from LAX to PS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 16:21