We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan/Feb weather

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cumbria,U.K.
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jan/Feb weather

Will be arriving from UK via San Francisco, which is cold and wet! Two weeksin Palm Springs and then to San Diego. What should I bring to wear in the day and for the evening? Will we need shorts and sun cream or long sleeves, sandals or shoes? Its a real dilemma as my flight from S.F. only allows one bag. Any help please?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jan/Feb weather

Hi elyaqcumbria, I usually only travel with one22inch rolling bag + a large tote that counts as a purse/personal item.

Think layers for all your locations. Wear a medium jacket on the plane. I mean something that you would wear in spring or fall. Bring a sweater/sweatshirt to wear either under the jacket or as a top layer by itself. Then some long sleeve and some short sleeves. I find that long sleeves can be pushed up as it gets warmer during the daytime. Both Palm Springs and SanDiego can be warm during the day IF the sun is shining and then chilly when the sun goes down at night. You will not feel the coldest desert temps because they occur in the middle of the night while you are sleeping.So daytime temps 60s70s(15+-21+C) I'd also bring a bathing suit for heated pools and jacuzzis. I'd bring one pair of sandals and one pair of shoes that you can walk in. IF you like the 3rd pair could be for IF you want to change at night.So you would pack 2 and wear one. Most of the places you are visiting are quite informal in dress so you won't need any seriously fancy evening outfits.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan/Feb weather

I agree. In January it can be warm enough during the day to wear shorts and a t-shirt, although pants and a t-shirt is also a likely possibility. But at night, a sweatshirt is a definite must and often a coat as well.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jan/Feb weather

Palm Springs is very casual. Even in winter we are wearing capri's, tee's and flip flops to restaurants, and a sweater if it gets chilly.

We also get by with one rolling bag and tote when we go to Europe. Layers is the answer for San Francisco.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jan/Feb weather

Actually in winter, Palm Springs and the surrounding areas have the wealthy snowbirds and depending on where you dine, you might want at least one nice outfit (not sequins or anything, but not jeans and a sweatshirt). The same is true for San Francisco.

It can get below freezing at night in the desert, on the other hand in March you can also be pushing the high 80's. I would plan for the 60's to 70's most of the time during the day, and 40's to 50's at night (sorry about the Fahrenheit). San Diego is similar although not as cold at night.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jan/Feb weather

When I write to folks from the UK and tell them that they won't need any "seriously fancy outfits" for dinner I believe they realize they won't need cocktail dresses or coats and ties for the men.

Especially since they need to travel light they need clothes to fit all occasions and of course may choose to have some fun tops to wear at night but will not need "formal clothes".-resort casual is always safe.

cumbria,U.K.
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jan/Feb weather

Thanks all that helps a lot. What is english for a rolling bag?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jan/Feb weather

rolling bag= suitcase with wheels

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jan/Feb weather

We went to a "nice" restaurant for dinner on Thanksgiving. Many men were wearing golf resort wear (shorts and golf shirt). Their spouses were a little more dressed up. I think Wally's Desert Turtle is the only place that requires coat and tie in PS.

By rolling bag, I meant the size the Flight Attendants use when traveling, soft sided, with wheels.

9. Re: Jan/Feb weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 01:20