We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Hi, I'm thinking of visiting Palm Springs (I'm from UK so would be arriving at LAX via an international flight) and wondered what is the best (and most cost effective) way of getting there?

I've looked at airlines and United seem to be the only one with a direct flight (LAX-PSP) and $600 is quite expensive

Can anyone help with ideas?

Thanks

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Rent a car and drive, it's about 2 hours driving time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

When I went to Palm Springs I flew into Ontario, Ca airport (I don't know if it's an international airport), which is an airport that is smaller than LAX. I rented a car and the drive to Palm Springs from the airport was about 1-1/2 hrs. easy drive.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Ontario doesn't have any international flights from Europe. LAX is the only airport in the area where flights from Europe arrive. San Diego doesn't even have flights to Europe let alone Ontario.

Renting a car is easiest if the United flights stay too expensive.

London
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Many thanks for these answers.....does anyone know if a train or bus is possible from LA to Palm Springs?

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Driving is the best option, but...you can take a train...see the amtrak schedule at www.amtrak.com . Note that from the PS train station, you will need to take a taxi to your hotel. The station is kind of far out of town.

You can check the Greyhound Bus schedule at www.greyhound.com . I think the buses also stop at the Amtrak stop-off near the I-10 freeway.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Take a look at this Amtrak experience in Palm Springs.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32847-i179-k19687…

It seems kind of iffy to me. I'd rent a car and drive. It's a super easy drive on I 10 East to CA 111 South.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

Amtrak trains #2&3 are very inconvenient and only service PS three days a week. We always rent a car and merge into the traffic. Car rentals are around $50.00 US per day plus gas.

8. Re: Los Angeles to Palm Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:20