We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rancho Mirage House?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rancho Mirage House?

We have been offered a rental on Santa Barbara Drive which the local realtor says is in Rancho Mirage. When I google the address it appears to be in Cathedral City close to the airport. Please comment on the location. Thanks.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,615 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

I prefer the location in Rancho Mirage around the Las Palmas Resort, at Bob Hope and Hwy. 111, but the area your rental is in, is Rancho Mirage, just farther out near Cathedral City. Is the house in a gated community?

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

Yes, on google earth it appears to be in Cathedral City, not Rancho Mirage. I would question the realtor and ask more specifics. If you are looking for a "Rancho Mirage' experience, you will probably be disappointed in this location.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

It does not appear to be a gated community. Is that a bad thing? Unsafe?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,615 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

Cathedral City has a known high crime rate. That doesn't mean the rental you choose will be robbed, however.

Is that the only property you are being offered? Usually there are dozens to choose from.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

I was asked if I would consider another property since the one I had enquired about on VRBO in Palm Desert was already taken. We have not been to Palm Springs since 2000 and haved stayed in the south end a few miles from downtown.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,615 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

I rent places in the desert from vrbo all the time. If the dates of our favorites are not available, I move on to another property that suits our family. We generally like Palm Desert, as it is next to La Quinta or Rancho Mirage in either direction for restaurants, shopping or entertainment.

If you are unsure of the substitute, you will have many to choose from on vrbo.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

If its on Santa Barbara near the airport, off Ramon Road thats in the Dream Homes area, and is NOT a good area at all... I dont see how they can call it RM tho. Is it possibly in a smaller community within the RM city limits?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

If you don't like the location I'd recommend just looking elsewhere - depending on when you are going. If it's in March, be aware the rentals sell out for the most part - same as Coachella in April.

Palm Desert and Palm Springs are favorite areas for rentals. Look for the Palm Desert country clubs: Palm Valley, Rancho Las Palmas, Monterey, or La Quinta area too. All more upscale than Cathedral City - but I wouldn't let CC scare me away if it's in your budget. It's a nice location close to PS, the Tram, IMAX, flight museum.

9. Re: Rancho Mirage House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 00:16