We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

I found two beautiful homes to rent in March. One is in PS near Monte Vista and Leisure, and the other is in PD on Deep Canyon and Monte Verde. I realize these are two totally different experiences, but need some help deciding & would be grateful for help from anyone who is familiar with one or both of these locations! I'm told the PS house is a short walk from downtown, so I assume there are restaurants nearby...? (We're in our 50s, not looking for major nightlife, just maybe cocktails, nice restaurant, good hiking trails nearby?) It's also at the base of the mountain so has beautiful views. Is this a good neighborhood? A windy location? All the listings seem to claim "celebrity" upscale neighborhoods, hard to know what is true.

Is Deep Canyon Road in PD a busy street? I do not want any street noise - we need major quiet and relaxation. No mtn views here, but a gorgeously landscaped tropical garden on 1/2 acre private lot. They both look great! Is this a nice neighborhood? Both have outdoor kitchens, so frankly we would be content to eat most of our meals at the house, having just come from 3 nights at the Desert Springs, we'll be sick of eating out.

Any intelligence much appreciated!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,245 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

We enjoy staying at our TS resort that is close to downtown PS. We do walk to shops and restaurants and love the location. We have relatives in PD and drive to visit with them almost daily, and although we could choose to stay closer to where they are in any number of different PD resorts, we still like the charm of PS.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

The Palm Springs address is in the Vistas Las Palmas area in Palm Springs. It is a very good neighborhood where midcentury homes where Dean Martin and Peter Lawford used to live. It is close to the mountain, which guards against too much wind from blowing through. Its a 10 minute walk to the main drag, where you go through Las Palmas...the best and one of the oldest neighborhoods in town. I think it would be a great area to stay. Deep Canyon in Palm Desert is more of an average middle class neighborhood with a few midcentury architecture gems, but nothing like Vista Las Palmas. Its fairly close to the commercial area in Palm Desert, which has the greatest concentration of commercial retail in the valley.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

Thanks very much for those insights. My original instinct was to stay in PS so I am going to stick with that. I really appreciate the help.

SoCA
Level Contributor
41 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

We've been driving in to Palm Springs from PD to do our hiking so next time we will stay in PS.

5. Re: rental home location help PS vs PD - can't decide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 13:16