We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of day to take the Tramway

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of day to take the Tramway

Will be visiting Palm Springs in April with my wife....

For those folks that have done the Tramway, what time of day would be a good time to do it up? I see during the week the first one leaves at 10AM - is it better to be there early or wait until later afternoon?

Also, is it a good thing to do to pre-purchase tickets on the website? I could see this would save some time. Are there any discounts on tickets that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

You could go about 11 and have lunch up there, its just a cafeteria but the views are nice. Theres not really much else to do up there besides hike.

Buy tickets there, it's not going to save much time. You have to wait for a car going up anyway.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

Per above, my main purpose for this posting is to find the best time to take the Tramway to avoid crowds and hence wasting the day away in line when there are so many other things to see/do in PS.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

I've never really seen crowds there, except on Holidays.

The cars hold 80 people, so you are going to wait a few minutes or be in the next car up. It's not going to slow you down that much.

There is a AAA discount.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

My husband and I were just in PS and took the tram early afternoon, it was quite chilly when you get to the mountain station so bring a warmer jacket! You'll love it - really amazing!! I would say a must-see in Palm Springs

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

Other than the view, what else is there to do once you get to the top? How long is the tram ride?

Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,137 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

There is a restaurant at the top and hiking trails also.You can hike to the top of MT San Jacinto if you want.The tram ride is about 15-20 minutes.I've really never paid much attention to how long it takes,I think that is close.

Girard, Ohio
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

I will be in Palm Springs for the Stagecoach Festival should I expect long lines ? doesnt seem like one would wait long. with 80 pp capacity. Its 15 up 15 down right? they run every 1/2 hr appx? so you dont have to spend hours on top?? We really just wanna go to take pics. and have maybe 1 beer and come down. website doesnt explain much. But then again we have nothing like this in Ohio.LOL Anyone?? Thanks!!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,137 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

The wait times are not long.It is about 15 up 15 down.You can spend as much or little time up there as you want.Bring your camera.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

The views going up and down and at the top are great but I would not bother with the restaurant up there; in my opinion it is quite poor and there are some great restaruants down in Palm Springs.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of day to take the Tramway

I would not even call it a restaurant up there, more cafeteria food. So no need to eat there when you have plenty of excellent restaurants in town that are not only cheaper but actually resemble excellent food

I always thought the best times would be during sunset, to see not only the sun set but also the gold glimmer behind the horiyon always gives me some goosebumbs

Would not worry about wait times, I really never had to wait for more then one or two trams the most