We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Palm Springs

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Palm Springs

Hello-

I have a trip planned from my mother and I to fly from NY to California to stay at a spa in Palm Springs. I am having a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced flight that will connect and get us to PSP, so i am considering flying into Santa Ana airport and driving. can you pls share your thoughts on what this drive is like? The trip is planned from Friday to Friday-- do I need to worry about traffic from Santa Ana to Palm Springs?

Thanks in advance!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

The drive from Santa Ana to Palm Springs is easy.About 11/2 to 2 hours.All freeway.Seeing as though it is Friday,it is best to leave before noon if possible.Anytime after about 2pm you will hit traffic.Gets even worse into the evening.Coming back to Santa Ana,you want to do that after about 10AM.Morning traffic into Santa Ana is bad.

Have you considered flying into Ontario?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

Whatever airport is the most direct and cheapest will be fine. It's going to be a couple hour drive if LAX or Santa Ana. Ontario is even better, but you need to find the best price. How about Jet Blue into Long Beach? I hear they have great prices from NY.

Friday afternoon is the worst for traffic, that's when most of us take time off to drive out there for the weekend. If you leave before the traffic it's a nice drive.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

We've also flown into San Diego and done the drive from there several times. About the same time as driving in from LA.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

Long Beach to Palm Springs is typically 2 hours off peak. Ontario is about an hour. Orange County (SNA) can be worse since you have fewer options if there is a traffic jam. Unfortunately the 91 Express Lanes don't have toll booths but if you have a FasTrak transponder from other parts of CA you can use it.

I think Thursday afternoon is as bad as Friday, however Friday mornings are light, especially as said if you leave before noon.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

I've been stuck on the 91 through the Santa Ana Canyon at ALL times of day on weekdays and weekends. I avoid it like the plague. I pity the poor folks who commute on it daily, even with a so-called "fast pass".

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

Hi there-- thanks for your reply. What is the drive like from San Diego to PSP? Do you have a sense of what traffic is like on Fridays(both to and from)?

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

yikes! it looks like Santa Ana is off of our options list now, thanks for the heads up!

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

I like the idea of flying direct to Long Beach via Jet Blue.... do you have any ideas on what the traffic would be like from Long Beach to PSP on a Friday?(both to and from)? We would be driving mid day both ways...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

It would be a fairly easy drive from Long Beach to Palm Springs. You would start out heading north on Lakewood Blvd. to the 91 east a short way to the 605 north to the 10 east all the way to Palm Springs. I expect if you get going before 2 pm it would take about 2 to 3 hours to drive. The trick is getting on the I 10 going east before the rush hour starts building up at about 3:30 pm or so.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Palm Springs

The drive from Ontario is an easy drive and takes about an hour to an hour and a half. The Ontario airport is a nice and easy airport to get around.