We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking alone

California
5 posts
Save Topic
hiking alone

Is it safe to hike alone on the popular trails in Palm Springs? I will be in Palm Springs soon and would be interested to hike while my husband is playing golf.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking alone

Yes, I think it would be fine to hike alone on the popular trails in PS. We go as a family, but it is safe. You will encounter other hikers on the trail as well, so you won't be totally isolated.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking alone

I agree that it's safe. It's always safer to *not* go alone (and be sure you know where you're going) but myself, personally, would not be afraid to hike in the Palm Springs area alone.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,813 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking alone

If you go up to the Indian Canyons,you will be fine.There are always people around.Should be a good amount of water flowing in the creeks,with all the rain and snow recently.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking alone

Just be prepared, have a cell phone, water, and be sure your husband knows your plan...to the hour....if you are more than 15 minutes late, he should be concerned

Sorry to be the only one who doesnt agree but

I have heard way too many unhappy stories of hikers being lost, injured or worse

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking alone

Kbear,

It's good that you give this advice. In my mind the person would have a cell phone and water, and I didn't think to mention it. Being the desert, she needs to be reminded.

Now, I've heard of more husbands being "lost" on the golf course, but that is another story! : )

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking alone

Certainly take along a cell phone, but reliance on it as a lifeline is a mistake many people make, even here in the hills of suburban LA. I've never tried a cell phone in the Indian Canyons but that's one area where I wouldn't bet on cell coverage.

Chicago
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking alone

I am going to PS for the first time in March. I have an IPhone and I checked for AT&T cell phone coverage on their website. The Palm Springs area has excellent service, but Joshua Tree National Park (where we plan to hike) has very little to no coverage in many areas.

So I would check your company's map before you go, just to make sure.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking alone

bighitterlama- What visitors from urbanized or flat areas don't realize is terrain has a big affect on cell coverage. Around canyons, hills, and mountains there can be great coverage in one spot and no coverage a short distance away. Also, cell antennas are "tuned" to cover populated areas and highways...the cell companies don't waste energy sending a signal over uninhabited areas. You're correct that built-up areas of PS have great coverage but again it's a dangerous to assume that in the rugged lands adjacent to PS.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking alone

What you are all forgetting is that she may not be able to make a call, but her phone can possibly still send out a "ping" signal if she is lost and someone is looking for her. It would also provide you with light, if needed in the dark.

Then there's the 2 inexperienced hikers that were lost up there for 2 1/2 days in 2006 and came upon a dead Marine who had also been lost up there...taking the phone is a better idea that not taking it.

Water would be a priority but I think it's a bad idea all around.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking alone

Why don't you check with one of the local hiking clubs and go with them if it fits your schedule?

http://www.cvhikingclub.net/

Otherwise, though it is generally safe if you go on a trail that is well used.