We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

My husband I will be visiting the Palm Springs area June 12 -17. We have heard that June is when it starts to get hot but we are from Texas and are used to the heat. My co-worker lived in San Diego for years and has visited the Palm Springs area often in June. He stated that the heat will be very different from the Texas heat in the summer and should not be a problem for us. I want to thank all of you that post on this site because your comments have been VERY HELPFUL in helping us plan our trip. We are going to stay at the Hyatt Grand Champions in Indian Wells. We got a great deal on our room. I am looking for suggestions on things to do and restaurants that have good food and a family environment since we will be traveling with our 2 year old son. We want to go up on the Aerial Tramway and are thinking about visiting Joshua Tree National Park. We live in the Dallas area and there are lots of good restaurants so want to visit some restaurants are that are different from those in the Dallas area. I have read that the Renaissance Esmeralda has a great breakfast buffet and some other restaurants I have noted from other posts are the Yard House and Las Casuelas Quinta. Someone mentioned the Rock Cafe for breakfast but I could not find any information on a restaurant call the Rock Cafe so I am wondering if they meant the Hard Rock Cafe. I like seafood and my husband and I both like Italian food. I read that there is a very good seafood restaurant in the JW Marriott in Palm Desert. Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

There is no Hard Rock in the PS area.

The Yard House is fun, but very loud and a major bar scene, so try it for lunch instead of dinner. It is at The River which is a place of all high end restaurants ( PF Changs, Flemings Steak HOuse) and a newer movie complex, plus shops and so on...all built on a waterway.

Italian:

Mamma Gina on El Paseo in Palm Desert

Mexican:

Las Casuelas is good-but instead of Quinta , their Terraza location is downtown PS and a fun place to people watch, also live band. If you get into town at all it would be a good one to try. Your hotel is not in the heart of town so that would be a good change.

Joshua Tree is ok if you are avid hikers, it will be much hotter there than it is at your hotel. The Living Desert would probably sufice for a 2 year old, he can see native animals and they have tours, its much closer to the Hyatt,

The heat in PS is dry, you will be okay.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

Thanks KbearC for your comments and recommendations. I checked out the website for The Living Desert and have added it to our list.

We plan to spend some time in PS. How far is Indian Wells from PS? I am thinking it is not too far.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

It is a 15 minute drive, without traffic, in June. Straight shot down Highway 111/Palm Canyon Drive

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

Can someone suggest a good seafood restaurant? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs in June with 2 year old

Big Fish is part of the Kaiser chain. They have several places in town, Big Fish is the seafood place.