We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

AVOID THIS AGENCY AT ALL COSTS. First of all the photos were misleading. The house we rented over Thanksgiving was in very poor condition. Second, it was way over-priced. Third, we got robbed--burglars broke into the house in the middle of the night with 11 people sleeping inside & 4 cars out front so they were quite brazen. And we got no help from the agency in dealing with the mess. To add insult to injury, right in the midst of the police visit, trying to cancel credit cards etc, Ian, one of the PS Agency's employees, had the gall to suggest it was our fault we got robbed! The police are investigating the theft and checking to see if anyone at the agency gave a tipoff to the arrival of a large party. We lost several thousand dollars worth of computers, phones, iPods etc and the thieves charged thousands on our credit cards. It took the agency 6 weeks to return our deposit. You'd think they'd do their best to provide good service after such an experience, but no. Good service, what's that? The manager doesn't return phone calls. And he has refused to give us any discount on the high price we paid for a terrible stay. The kids still have nightmares about the robbers. I will never use this agency again.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

Thanks for your one and only post. What part of town were you staying in? I assume it was a single family residence with a party that large.

Palm Springs is far from crime-free. There is a reason there are gated communities with security.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

Well I second motion, I will never use them again either.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

I had a bad experence with the same fellow back in the fall.

So I will never use them again

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

All rental agencies......................

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

The house was on S. Araby. The neighbors said they were not aware of any prior breakins so it is generally a safe area. I agree, crime can happen anywhere. But when the agency treats the renters so poorly, that's a crime of another sort!

I'm not normally a poster, but wanted to spare others my terrible experience with Paml Springs Rental Agency.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
122 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

Monde, sorry for your nightmarish experience, but my dealings with Palm Springs Rental Agency have always been great. Fifth time renting from them, and in fact, I'm back in the Araby neighborhood for the fourth time and it couldn't be better... The staff is responsive and came by within hours after checking in to tweak some minor problems.

You sure it wasn't Vacation Palm Springs Rentals? Because they are another story. A few years ago, we rented a house with one problem after another, and they wouldn't do anything to remedy the situation for our 2 weeks stay.

It's so maddening to rent a house that's nothing like the pictures, and even worse to get broken into--especially while you're sleeping. Renting houses can be a crap shoot, I guess.

Venice, CA
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

We have used PS rental agency at least a dozen times in the last 8 years.. We have never had any issues ever...

When we rent a house we always call them and they have always been upfront in telling us the real condition of the house. Not all house owners keep up with the many repairs and up-keep the abuse a rental house will get. So asking that questions is very important because the pictures could be years old.

Also verify the rental company.. one other company in PS does has a very bad reputation.

Terrible that you guys were robbed, but we have always felt very safe in PS. We travel the world and have been robbed before, so we have learned our lessons.. but we have never been robbed at night with us in the actual house/hotel.. Our biggest precaution we take is to keep our valuables (camera/wallet/laptops/cell) with us at all times, and in the bedroom on the night stand when we sleep. I can't imagine that's not good enough. We know when travelling with a large group someone will forget to lock a door/patio. So next to us in bed should be safe....

Of course we take our dogs along to PS. Trust me they will let us know if anyone gets near the house..(but infortunately they do for cats, birds, mailmen..etc..)

ALSO folks mentioned not using an agency.. Renting by owners can be cheaper and we try that every so often, but you can have some bad to even weird experience with that..

Just last month we rented by owner a very nice 4 bedroom house in the Santa Barbara area of California. They told us the garage was locked out and we were totally fine with that. We figured they need to lock up the yard/equipment/tools etc, made sense to me.

Howeve our dogs let us know instantly something was not right with that garage. Come to find out thier adult son lives in that attached garage.. NOT cool and basically very creepy. We did get a discount when we called the owner, but she asked us not to write a bad review online in exchange for the partial refund... fyi PM me and will gladly give anyone the link to that house :)

Edited: 02 March 2011, 21:19
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

Thanks for your note about this agency, and I am sorry about your experience. As a renter, first try to find an agency that is responsive and can identify the standards for homes in their portfolio (up to date furnishings, quality linens, well equipped kitchens, etc) and actually know the homes themselves. We own a home in the desert and received a list of requirements when we signed up with our rental agency. Our agent also greets our guests at the home upon arrival to orient them and answer questions, ensure the AC and lights are on and the home is spotless. And while there are several agencies in Palms Springs, there are others in Palm Desert for instance that represent homes in other nice communities. The desert is a fantastic place for family holidays. Don't wait til the last minute to rent and you will find both an agency and a home that you will love!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

i rented from them for a year and half. they made promises they would only enter on my time,fix all needed,and they were going to add a cement patio or grass to what was a dirtyard. after i signed,they were a mess- i couldnt move in scheduled day because they decided to paint outside,our doors etc,i had to wait one day- they gave me no credit for the d ay as i asked, no big deal. but then it got worse,they would want to come to f ix things when iwasnt home and insisted they get let in. their maintanence men were very ,just say i didnt want them in my place alone,they threw away my things they ruined...the yard guy also damaged things in my yard. the rental place didnt care and wouldnt even deal with it- they had me call the yard guy to get in straightened out- they absolitely had no concern with any of it-all people aloud in my place by them were very uneasy going people.. when i loved out,i left it spotless,they charged me 100 $ for leaving the refrigerator with one dirty rail i guess.silly- then the ytried to keep my deposit saying they never got it. they finally said they misplaced it and blamed it on me as well. do not rent from these people-deceitful- when i called to complain about all this they would laugh and hang up.when i asked for number elsewhere,they gave me their personal number silly kids

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVOID Palm Springs Rental Agency at all costs

now thats just scary-i would report that