We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in the area?- coachella

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clearwater,Fl
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
camping in the area?- coachella

we are planning on going to the coachella music fest in indio and are looking for a campground offsite. we prefer tent camping, somewhere with showers. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Portland OR
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

I don't know if it would be convenient, but there is a lot of space at Joshua Tree National Park, and it is absolutely beautiful. Even if you don't camp there, don't miss it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

That is quite a ways from the festival. And the traffic all around the show is horrible that weekend, so youd be adding that much more time to your day. This area ( besides JT ) isnt really geared towards camping. Why not camp there on site?its so much more convenient.

Clearwater,Fl
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

PsP, We thought camping onsite would be hectic and crowded...not really interested in camping in a field with hundreds of other people. I was checking out Hurkey (sp?) and it looked pretty nice, also the Salton Sea area...anyone been to those places??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

Gina

The whole weekend will be hectic and crowded.

Seems like camping right there would be cutting out the driving time and sitting in traffic, plus parking, twice, make things a bit easier.

Sorry Ive never heard of Hurkey. The Salton Sea is VERY smelly, especially in the summer and hotter than the show area.And its a long drive.

I'm probably not a good judge as I don't camp and I don't do overcrowded festivals anymore.

But youre going to go that route, then Joshua Tree would be better.

Clearwater,Fl
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

thanks for your input...i don't mind the crowded festival in general, but wish to escape the crowd to unwind at the end of the evening. joshua tree sounds great, but from what i have researched there are no showers. we are coming from florida and really need to find a spot. the hotels are probably all booked. we don't mind driving/traffic...no big deal. how close are outer cities? i just am stuck and would really like to find a reasonable place to stay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

Have you looked here yet?

http://p073.ezboard.com/fgoldenvoicefrm8

Its a message board for people like you who are planning to camp or need accomodations. I just want you to know the heat that weekend will be unbearable, its not like Florida, and I am 20 years old and wouldnt want to stay out there overnite. I would really suggest a motel room or something.

Clearwater,Fl
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

thanks.. that board is most helpful! it sounds so complicated i think i might just take a damn trip somewhere else instead. i love the music but i am getting to old for all the hectic crowds and stress of inflated hotel rates....thanks all for your help!

Salton Sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

I live part of the year near the shore of the Salton Sea. It's VERY hot here from May until September--strictly for the hard core or those Europeans who like to go home and brag about withstanding 125 degree weather.

Contrary to a previous post, it isn't smelly here all the time. It all depends on the algae blooms. When they are in a dying phase it smells. I live a mile up from the shore and rarely smell a thing. When I go to the shore, there is often at least some kind of smell, but heck, I lived on a farm before and realize it's just part of the life cycle. Some days the smell hits you when you get out of your car, but you get used to it very soon, then forget about it.You may have the whole place to yourself. I usually have miles of the beach to myself when I walk my dog at Johnson's Landing in Salton City. It's safe and really cool--it feels like a desert island. The Salton Sea is so huge it feels like an inland ocean and if it weren't for the water, it would be the lowest elevation in the western hemisphere and it feels like you're deep down.

Campsites out here are dirt cheap and usually primitive. I'd go for the one near the Nature Walk in Salton City; I think it's $5 a night, but I don't know if anybody's there to take your money.

I honestly don't recommend this area for middle America, fussies, or metrosexual types. Also there are some seldom seen, but very creepy bugs out here (Ever seen a solipugid? Put a potato bug on steroids and you'll get the visuals).

But for adventuresome, rugged types, it's a unique, fantastic experience! Winter is drop dead gorgeous at the Salton Sea for nature lovers. I'm a native coastal Californian and world trekker and never saw more beautiful sunrises and sunsets anywhere on the whole planet than at the Salton Sea. It may have to do with all that salt that kicks up into the air and does something prismic and VERY cool with the colors. Bring a good camera and get up early.

It's the only place in the West where the sun rises ove the sea and sets over the mountains ;)

Catch it while you can...a land boom hit here very recently and the semi-desolte ghost towns with 100% mom and pop establishments along the shore will be gone soon. Circling turkey vultures now mix with developers and retail store site scouts.

Salton Sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

Forgot to mention the sun rises over the sea from the west shore of the Salton Sea. Cities there are Salton City, Desert Shores, and Salton Sea Beach.

BTW...check out our monster in the 50s sci-fi classic:

The Monster that Challenged the World!

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: camping in the area?- coachella

i dont know if i am too late! but if you are still looking,

lake cahuilla in la quinta has camping. i dont know if they have showers or not, but it is fairly close to indio and also has a swimming pool so even if there arent showers at least you can refresh yoruself there!

the phone number is:

760) 564-4712

riversidecountyparks.org/lake_cahuilla.cfm

theres a website for it, it does have showers!