We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HomeAway

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
HomeAway

Hi.

We are still searching. Has anyone used or booked thru HomeAway.com?

Many do not have any ratings or guest comments.

All advice appreciated.

60 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: HomeAway

We are going to Palm Springs to check out possible rentals for a month or two. I checked VRBO and most of the places I checked were already booked for next winter. So we plan to meet with a realtor and get some ideas. They sent us a list of available properties.

I did not try homeaway

Edited: 22 March 2013, 15:15
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: HomeAway

VRBO is more popular in North America.

Homeaway is more popular in Europe.

23. Re: HomeAway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 19:05

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: HomeAway

Andrew....you can't use this forum to solicit business for your "book." Reported for solicitation.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: HomeAway

I've used VRBO.com several times in Europe and have had great success. As a matter of fact, my favorite apartment in Venice was found through VRBO and I am about to stay there for the 4th time.

It is always good to know, though, which sites are "advertising" middlemen, and which are actual rental agents.

Have a fun trip! I love Palm Springs!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: HomeAway

I've used Homeaway and VRBO for places I don't know, but more often than not I use local agencies.

For Palm Springs we've used Vacation Palm Springs for years and also done some rentals with McLean Co.

http://www.vacationpalmsprings.com/

http://www.ps4rent.com/

charlottetown
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: HomeAway

I'm a travel agent in Canada , have used HomeAway on several occasions(Israel, Rome, Amsterdam) and have never had any problems. I just make sure that the clients purchase the insurance. I really like the fact that I can chat with the owners or at least thier reps.

28. Re: HomeAway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 14:57

Krakow, Poland
5 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: HomeAway

I do think homeaway is great but if you are looking for something in the States i would maybe look in VRBO...homeaway rocks Europe :)

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: HomeAway

I totally advice AGAINST using HomeAway an other similar online rental services. If everything is OK then you may grab a good bargain. The problem is if any negative issue or experience happens because Homeaway will skip any help of liability. Here is my terrible experience:

I made a booking for a week stay in NYC almost 3 months ago. However, in less than 12 hours before my arrival to NYC, the owner of the apartment cancelled the reservation. 12 HOURS BEFORE MY ARRIVAL!!!

Consider this: Homeaway will not provide you with any support at all. They act as a sole intermediary between 2 individuals with no liability on their ads. So in case or a problem or a scam you can only claim against an owner who lives in a foreign country than yours so no legal sue is feasable.

Therefore, I hadcto find a different acommodation, more expensive since I had no time to search and with higher transport costs. What happened if I had not read the email of the cancellation? I had to stay in the street!! Who makes me up for all the damage?? NO ONE!!!

What if once you arrive at your destination, there is no apartment, or the owner decides to cancel? NOTHING, YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!! Beware, there are scams and your reservation refund is not guaranteed at all.

Therefore, making any reservation in these websites is a risk.

Reply to: HomeAway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted