We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In search of really good Mexican Food

vancouver
Level Contributor
18 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
In search of really good Mexican Food

Any recommendations for good Mexican food in Ranch Mirage or within 30 minute drive ? Looking for quality.... not quantity. Thanks !

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g32847-Palm_Spri…

vancouver
Level Contributor
18 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

Many Thanks ! My go to list is always the T.A. forums' recommendations appearing on this site. Seems only a few appear, for example T/T's ranked #17 on the preferred list. I was hoping to receive some new / updated recommendations based upon recent new openings or some 1st hand experiences which do not CURRENTLY appear in the T.A. forums guide.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

El Gallito Restaurant in Cathedral City, Taqueria Tlaquepaque‎ in Palm Springs (serious dive with great food), La Perlita in Palm Springs and La Casita in Cathedral City.

TA is not necessarily your best source for restaurant (or hotel for that matter) ratings.

vancouver
Level Contributor
18 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

Dear Scott 075 - I really appreciate your 1st hand guidance on this question since I agree... TA ...is a bit "thin" on speciality restaurant guidance. Can always be a bit hit and miss. Some of my very best meals have been in places that most people would drive -by and not try, simply due to outside appearances. But seems you / me totally agree there are some serious dives out there that can become personal favourites. T/T appears to be that kind of place, a diamond in the rough, so to speak. I'll be sure to give it a try, as well as El Gallito in C.C. Many thanks again for your recommendations !

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

We go to the desert year around, and eat at the restaurants listed above, usually for lunch, or if we are up near PS .

Our favorite Mexican restaurant for when we want to have an evening experience, is El Adobe Grill at the La Quinta Resort in LQ. The same staff has been there for years, and the service is top notch. If you are going during the holiday season, the plaza is decorated with lots of decorated lights and decorations. There is a huge fire pit in the center of the plaza, and they have live music most nights.

The table side guacamole is the best in the valley as are the Margarita's made with fresh lime juice. They have 100 tequilas on hand.

Their Chicken Mole is outstanding as is everything on the menu.

www.laquintaresort.com/dining/adobe_grill/

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

The place where locals go for good Mexican food is EL Mirasol on South Palm Canyon in Palm Springs. Its not fancy or expensive, but good. The owner bills the menu as 'authentic' Mexican food.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

Bring cash if you go to el Gallito. No credit cards.

If you like a little entertainment with dinner, Macarios in Indio usually has a guy with a guitar walking around or mariachis playing. Place has been there forever in an old building on Indio Blvd near Jefferson.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

We've been travelling to PS for over ten years, 4-6 times a year. El Gallito was okay but not great and no liquor. I did not like TT at all. El Mirasol seemed to be more about the social scene than the food. People love it so we keep trying every few years and it's still mediocre. My favorite by far is Las Casuelas downtown. Yes it's filled with tourists but I love the drinks and the food.....we go there at least once and often twice on every trip to PS. (Some day we'll try Rio Azul which was recommended by a hotel desk clerk last year.)

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

Las Casuelas is very Americanized Mexican food....its there for tourists.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In search of really good Mexican Food

>>>I did not like TT (Taqueria Tlaquepaque‎ ) at all. .... My favorite by far is Las Casuelas downtown<<<

Hmmmm, didn't like Taqueria Tlaquepaque‎ and love Las Casuelas Nuevas....