We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs to vegas drive

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Springs to vegas drive

Hi there.

A family ,having a wonderful California vacation,San Diego last week and Santa Barbara this week.

Outstanding.

We travel on to Palm Springs from SB this coming weekend .

Have booked the ingleside and dinner at Melvyn's and look forward to seeing this wonderful place for the first time.

My request is as to driving to LV from Palm Springs.

I will take the direct route home from LV to La and therefore was thinking of going a little different way from Palm Springs and would welcome thoughts,and advice as to how it could be better ,alterations to make and advice as to must see places that we could include.

I am looking to make the trip in about six hours travelling the i10 then the 177 ,next onto the 95 through needles ,searchlight and into LV itself

It's our first trip to LV and I want to get a different trip to and from ,whilst also grabbing the unmissable ,the bizarre,the whacky and the beautiful on the way .

My thanks in advance for each and every reply .

Gratitude multiplied .

Emmet

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs to vegas drive

Rather than go 10 to 177,which is not too interesting, you could take hwy 62 which goes past Joshua Tree National Park. Between Palm Springs and JTNP near Yucca Valley is Pioneertown, with old western movie sets and a restaurant/bar/music venue called Pappy and Harriets. Do the north loop of JTNP and enter at the town of Joshua Tree and exit at the town of 29 Palms.Then you have options.

1) Exit JTNP and take Utah Trail Street across 62 until it hits Amboy Road. Take Amboy Road to Amboy and see Roys Motel/cafe on Route 66. Then take Kelbaker Road to Kelso and the Mojave Scenic Preserve.Drive past the Kelso Dunes, stop at the Kelso Depot.Have lunch at the cafe, watch the trains go by. Then drive Kelso- Cima Road to Cima Road and connect with I-15 into Vegas.The Shell Station has an interesting urinal! Along this route is the largest concentration of Joshua Trees in the world.Be sure to gas up in 29 Palms. Gas also at Roys and Cima/I-15.Pics of route.

https:/…DriveThruMojavePreserve

www.nps.gov/moja

Off I-15 near Jean Nevada is the exit for Goodsprings. One of the oldest bars in Nevada is there, called the Pioneer Saloon. Its an old stamped tin Sears Catalog building with wooden floors. Very cool.

www.pioneersaloon.info

2) You can take Hwy 62 east to either Hwy 95 in California, or Hwy 95 in Arizona.Along the way near Rice is the famous "Shoe Fence" and also along the railroad tracks people write their names with rocks along side of the tracks. The 95 route in CA is not all that interesting. But if you decide to do the AZ side, you can drive over the Parker Dam, then head up 95 to Lake Havasu and see London Bridge.

https:/…

Between Havasu and Laughlin, a side trip to Oatman is interesting.

https:/…

Between Laughlin and Vegas off 95 is Nelson, and old mining town that offers tours.

Between Searchlight and I-15 is the town of Nipton and the Wee Thump Joshua Tree Wilderness.

If you went from Oatman to Kingman then took 93 to Vegas, you could stop at Hoover Dam and walk over the bypass bridge.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs to vegas drive

I'd take the route Dez described via Joshua Tree NP and Mojave National Preserve. Much more scenic that way.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs to vegas drive

While in PS, be sure to do the tram to the top of the mountain.

www.pstramway.com

Both the indian canyons and Living Desert are on summer schedule now.

www.indian-canyons.com

www.livingdesert.org

If you have kids, maybe see if the rollercoaster in Primm, Nevada is running.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 15:55
Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs to vegas drive

Sounds great and I really appreciate and welcome the time you took to respond so thoroughly Dez .

Times like this are important and it is wonderful and really welcomed that you should take your time to give of your expertise and experience so willingly.

I look forward to travelling such a wonderfully interesting sounding route.

Again thank you so much

Deeply appreciated.

Kind regards

Emmet

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs to vegas drive

We're in for possible thunderstorms this weekend, so be careful taking the back way. I've been caught up in some nasty flash floods during the summer out that way. Also after the rain the roads are littered with rocks and chunks of asphalt.

6. Re: Palm Springs to vegas drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19