We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

The web site says the aerial tram will start its annual maintenance on Aug 10. We arrive at LA on Aug 9! :( We want to go hiking on the trails. Can we drive up to the tram station and begin hiking from there?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Now, the main trails are from Idyllwild, which unfortunately under a Wildfire evacuation currently due to a large brushfire.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636

The Tram Station, and the road that takes you to the parking area will be closed for maintenance. And there is no real trail from the parking lot area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,122 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

In addition it is probably over 100 deg. which is not really good temp for a serious hike!

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Thanks for the replies!

We know it will be hot but we plan to leave LA very early so we can be at Palm Springs around 10 or so. I am so disappinted! Any other hiking or outdoor activities we can do in Palm Springs? We have two boys, 20 and 16 years old.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Check out the Living Desert.

http://www.livingdesert.org/

Then maybe head up Highway 74, the Pines to Palms Highway, which due to its higher elevations is cooler, and has many parks and National Forests as part of its route.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_74

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,122 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

You can hike in the Indian Canyons:

http://indian-canyons.com/

I understand that you may be used to heat since you come from Texas but getting to Palm Springs at 10AM is not early enough for it to feel cool outside!

Most folks in summer would do their outdoor activities at sunrise in the desert!!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Indian Canyons and Living Desert are on summer schedule right now, only open at certain times.

There is a trail from the PS art museum to the top of Mt San Jacinto. Its considered one of the hardest dayhikes in the country. Called Cactus to Clouds.But now is NOT the time to even try to attempt that as people have died trying.Don't try it.

If you go to the indian canyons you need to go right when they open, then leave early before it gets hot.

If you want a sunrise hike, join the locals and do the Bump and Grind.Its relatively short and sweet, with sweeping views. Lots use it for an exercise trail, because it does not take very long.Pics of the view.

https:/…

Edited: 18 July 2013, 16:50
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Here is a list of hikes near PS.Look for ones in the mountains.

www.mydesert.com/hikes

If you ever come in cooler weather, it will open up more hiking locations to try. A book that you will see often sold in the area is called 140 Great Hikes in and near Palm Springs, by Phil Ferranti.

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Thanks everyone!

Riff-I put down the wrong time. I mean to get to Palm Springs area around 8 am. Will it work? I don't like heat at all even though I am from Texas. :)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

Mt. San Jacinto State Park is now under evacuation orders due to the Wildfires in the area, as is Idyllwild. Sorry, but time to plan to do something else.

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: San Jacinto Mountain and Hiking question

I guess you are right and this is not the time to visit San Jac Mt. We have been LA a few times so we have been to many places around LA and also visited San Diego areas, but never been to Palm Springs. Please chime in if anyone have suggestions for outdoor activities to do within one to two hours drive from Orange County.