We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons to Visit PS

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Reasons to Visit PS

Can the experts suggests reasons for a holiday in Palm Springs?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

Sunshine and relaxation

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

The answers are different depending on what month of the year you think you might go...it's "resort" vacationing from about November through April. May through October is pretty darn hot, over 100 degrees (today's forecast for Palm Desert is 112 degrees). In Palm Desert, many stores on the famous El Paseo street are closed during the summer because it is too hot for shoppers.

So let us know, and we can give you more particular advice!!!

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

I might add, when I say resort vacationing, while it is snowing in our northern/eastern states, it is sunny and warm in Palm Springs... some people even have a house in Palm Springs for the winter months, because it is balmy and warm, we call them "snowbirds"...

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

We have been offered a condo house exchange in PS in November. Having looked on the web it says a high crime rate and I can't find anything positive except the weather. Please help as I need to make a decision soon.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

November is a wonderful time to visit Palm Springs. It is a top destination for many people in the United States, during the winter, because temperatures are mild when much of the States has snow. When you say it has high crime, do you mean a particular neighborhood, or Palm Springs? I feel entirely safe in Palm Springs. This resort area (Palm Springs-Palm Desert) generally appeals to upscale travelers interested in a resort experience. There is great shopping, great restaurants, great golfing, great nightlife, great desert scenery, you can visit Death Valley at that time of year, and take a gondola ride to Idyllwild (a mountain town nearby). Yes, there is lots to offer. I do not think it particularly has a higher crime rate than other places in the U.S., in fact, I feel very safe there, would walk in the shopping districts after dark, etc.

Try these websites for what to do:

http://www.palmspringsusa.com/

http://www.palm-springs.org/

http://www.ci.palm-springs.ca.us/

palmspringsweathercam.com/weather/stats.aspx

Good luck with your decision. Please let us know what you decided, either way!

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

palm springs is definitly not all about the weather!

for me the biggest draw is the fact that it is absolutely, incredibly GORGEOUS! every time i go, i can never get over it, i am awstruck over and over at how beautiful it is, the mountains will blow you away

other reasons are that it has endless incredible hiking or walking possiblities, some of the most gorgeous places on earth such as the indian canyons,

it is a great place to visit because it has so many different kinds of attractions and activities, you can walk or hike in desert scenery, in palm oases', or you can take the tram to the top of mount san jacinto and walk or cross country ski in alpine forest,

you can visit a variety of museums such as the palm springs art museum or the airplane museum

you can shop if thats what you enjoy, speciality shops or clothing, etc.

of course you definitly wont run out of golfing if that is your thing! or relaxing by the pool,

there are also several really unique attractions in palm springs, such as the palm springs follies, a burlesque style show starring only people over 50! as mentioned the palm springs tram takes you to the top of the second highest peak in souther california,

you can also drive to the near the top of this mountain on a paved highway which will take you to the quaint little artsy town idyllwild

you are also near joshua tree national park, an incredibly unique and bizarre landscape!

theres some great horseback riding available in the area,

and a WONDERFUL variety of restaraunts, endless supply of food from all countries of the world, an especially great supply of thai and mexican restaraunts, but lots and lots of others too

i could go on and on ranting but ill leave it there for now, it is definitly a place worth visiting, over and over again!!

and high crime rate?!?! definitly not, palm springs is known after all for its high proportion of senior citizens!!

Costa Mesa
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

I think its all been said. I will just ad I have been coming to Palm

Springs since 1978 (yes dating myself) and have been back every

year since. Go enjoy you will love it!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

"We have been offered a condo house exchange in PS in November. Having looked on the web it says a high crime rate and I can't find anything positive except the weather"

High crime rate??

Id like to know where the condo/house is??

9. Re: Reasons to Visit PS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 07:23