We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go to Big Bear/Palm Springs to see snow ?

colombo
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to go to Big Bear/Palm Springs to see snow ?

Hi all,

I am in Irvine and I leave the US on 9th Nov. I wish to see some snow before I go. And ski a little bit too :) . I heard that there's going to be a snow shower in Big bear tonight [1]. I would like to see Lake Arrowhead, Big bear and go in Palm Springs Aerial Tramway in a single day. What is the best day to plan the trip? Im only free on weekends. Can I go to all three places in a single day, so that i can save other week ends to go elsewhere? Please advice.

[1] forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

Thanks in

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to go to Big Bear/Palm Springs to see snow ?

The elevation of the station at the top of the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is 8,516 feet above sea level, while the elevation of Big Bear Lake is 6,750 feet above sea level. So I assume from this that the Mountain Station of the tramway is more likely to get snow than Big Bear Lake is, but a large winter-type storm could leave snow at both locations.

The great advantage of the tramway is that you don't have to do any mountain driving at all - just drive through the desert to the bottom station and the tramway takes you to the top. I think it's about $23 for the ticket and that includes up and down. The ride up and down is fairly spectacular itself, gliding alongside cliffs and trees in a steep ascent.

On the tramway, you might have trouble with your ears popping or failing to pop; the last time my ears wouldn't pop on the way down and I was in mild pain for a few hours until they finally popped with a very sharp, short-lived pain. Try to yawn every couple of minutes while on the tram, that should prevent that.

I wouldn't try to do all three (Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake and the tramway) all in one day; you would be extremely rushed and wouldn't have much time at the top station. Either do the tramway only, or else drive the Rim of the World Scenic Byway http://www.scenicdrivesusa.com/node/38

Edited: 09 October 2013, 23:38
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,649 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to go to Big Bear/Palm Springs to see snow ?

Even if there is a dusting of snow atop either location, it's a good bet that it will be gone by this weekend.

I would check out the webcams set up on Mt San Jacinto, http://www.pstramway.com/long-valley-cam.html (it's snowing up there right now) and the Big Bear cams.

Check them before you leave,

Good luck! I hope they get a good amount of snow!

Dr. Z

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to go to Big Bear/Palm Springs to see snow ?

If it snows in Big Bear tonight, with the high being 51 tomorrow, it will melt right away. They won't get enough for it to last on the ground. This is still early in the season for any Southern California areas to get any real accumulations of snow.

4. Re: Best time to go to Big Bear/Palm Springs to see snow ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:21