We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in September?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in September?

My wife and I (we're late 20s and fit) will be in the PS area in early September. We would like to do non-intense hikes (couple miles loop) and fully understand that it could still be very warm at the beginning of September.

My question - is it realistic to go on these types of short hikes in the Joshua Tree park or in the Indian Canyons or will we be cautioned away from that due to the heat?

I figure if we go up the tramway it'd be cooler, but we also wanted to get the full desert feeling down in the Canyons etc.

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in September?

I hiked both of them in June, 2005 and I am 55. You will have no problem. The temperature was 112 on the days I hiked. The Indian Canyons are very close to Palm Springs. Several of the hikes loop for just a couple miles. Incredible scenery.

Be sure to do Andreas Canyon--stay on the right in the shade, if you return on on the leftside it is in the sun. A bit warm. Palm Canyon will take your breath away. Munch on an ice cream bar, take plenty of water with you. Descend into the canyon. Surprisingly, much of the hike is in the shade, but beware this trail through the oasis palms goes on for 15 miles. I hiked 1.5 in and then back. Beautiful scenery. I turned back once the trail started to climb up a steep hill into the blazing sun. Enjoy. Also, I hiked at the top of the tram. 25 degrees cooler than the valley. Another world completely. Also, try to squeeze in the Tahquitz Canyon hike--it is with a guide and you visit a 60' waterfall--setting for scenes in "Lost Horizon" film. jnebra

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in September?

I agree that you could definitly do those hikes, just make sure to start out early. don't do them in the middle of the day. but you definitly picked the right places to hike during warm weather!! if you do the andreas canyon trail and the begining of the palm canyon trail, it will be much cooler because the walk is along a stream and under palm trees. joshua tree is also cooler than palm springs as it is at a higher elevation, not too much shade along those trails but definitly 10-15 degrees cooler than palm springs, plus there are a LOT of really short nature trails you can do in there. there are also a couple of palm oases in joshua tree which have short trails, again that would keep you cool. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in September?

Great - thanks very much for the replies - very helpful!

4. Re: Hiking in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 12:16