We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Hi there

Just after some advice on how much time to allow for the drive to LAX from the PS downtown area. We will be flying to Australia at 11.30pm on a Thursday night. I would like to be at the checkin desk at around 8.30pm.

I have checked the distance and have taken advice from previous posts about the route, however I do not have a sense of how long it may take in evening commuter traffic.

We have a rental car so will need to take into consideration time to return that as well, which previous posts have suggested may take an hour, so I guess we will need to arrive at the rental return area at 7.30pm.

Thanks

Cassie

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

My advice would be to leave Palm Springs a bit early, like around noon or 1PM. That will put you in LA in mid-afternoon - take a quick trip over to Manhattan Beach, Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica and grab an early dinner / late lunch near the shore. All of these are not far from LAX. If you try to time a drive directly from Palm Springs to arrive at LAX at 7:30 on a Thursday, you'll be driving all the way across the massive LA metro area right in the middle of evening rush hour traffic, which will take forever and leave you stressed and miserable.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 14:50
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Hi MachThree

Your suggestion makes perfect sense however we are traveling with a 2 year old so I was hoping that he could have an afternoon nap at the hotel before we leave PS.

It would be good not to have the stress of the peak hour traffic, though, so maybe we could aim for a nap in the car??

Cassie

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

You'll probably need to check out of your hotel room by noon or so, anyway. Leaving PS mid-afternoon on a weekday would be putting you in some very heavy traffic. If you need to have a room for the nap in the afternoon, check some LAX area hotels for day rooms (there have been several posts on the topic), and leave PS in the morning. Then you also have someplace for resting and showering before heading to the airport terminal.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,030 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Cassie,

Most hotels in the desert have a check out time of 11 am. Sometimes you can get an extra hour or two out of them, but if it were me, I'd be on the way to LAX and let the little one nap in the car. We've been traveling by car with kids for years, and they are pretty resilient.

We live near the airport, and it's a two hour drive from Palm Springs in normal, non commute traffic. By leaving earlier in the day, you'll by pass the heavy traffic. I'd only allow only a half hour, rather than an hour, at 8 PM to turn in your car and shuttle to your terminal by 8:30 PM. Traffic is long gone around here by then.

Manhattan Beach is a a good place to spend some time and have some dinner before your flight. There is a nice pier to walk out on, at the end is a Roundhouse Marine Aquarium for hands on touching of starfish, etc for kids, and the Strand walkway along the beach for miles. A nice family place for dinner is The Kettle Restaurant, just up from the pier. Lots of families with strollers. Parking lot behind the restaurant, very safe area.

http://thekettle.net/

MB: Take the 105 freeway west all the way to Sepulveda Blvd, turn left a few miles to MB Blvd, turn right. Pier is at the end.

www.youtube.com/watch…

There is also an indoor mall, Manhattan Village up on Sepulveda, which stays open in the evening.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Thanks Sutter and CAnative,

You have convinced me that we should leave PS and spend the afternoon in LA. Manhattan beach sounds like a good option and close to the airport, and the acquaruim sounds like it would be a hit with our little one! We will have lounge access at LAX so can have a shower before the flight there, but CAnative, as you are an expert for the area- can you tell me whether there are any showers at the beach in case we decide to have some beach time as well?

Thanks

Cassie

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,030 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Yes, there are clean showers and restrooms at the base of the MB Pier, located on the right side. Good to know in case you take a walk in the sand, or buy an ice cream cone at the Creamery and want to wash off sandy toes or sticky fingers!

The City of Manhattan Beach maintains beach parking lots, city parking lots, metered street parking and underground parking. The City has installed new technology parking meters that accept credit and debit cards throughout the City. At the beach near the pier are the Upper Pier Lots and the Lower Pier Lots which have a total of 118 spaces.

Parking Rates

Beach Parking Lots $1.50 per hour

City Parking Lots $0.75 per hour

Street Parking $1.25 per hour

Location of lots:

ci.manhattan-beach.ca.us/home/showdocument…

Lot 3 is behind the Kettle Restaurant. Lot M has many underground spaces, elevator and escalator to get to the Metlox Plaza.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Goodness, the parking is cheap!

Thanks so much for the extra info- that's really helpful.

Cassie

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

I heartily third the plan above. Should be devoid of commute stress.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

Hey cassie

we also had the same dilemma last October. We are a couple from Melbourne and we spent the last 3 days of our trip in Palm Springs for R & R .

we had the 11.50pm flight from LAX on a Thursday evening too!

We where meeting some friends at the airport around 8pm for a bite and drinks before check in

We decided we didn't want to commute with peak hour traffic, so we left The Hyatt Indian Wells resort around 3pm with the aim to be in LA around 5-6 pm.

We made it around 5.30pm I believe and we decided to go to Manhattan Village and do some last minute shopping for a few hours! We then dropped our car at rental around 7.45 and got dropped at airport around 8pm!

I think if you leave PS any later than say 3pm, you will still make your time frame, but you will be frustrated in LA peak hour traffic.

Hopefully if you spend the morning and early afternoon at the hotel, your 2 year old may nap in the car whilst you travel, and you too might get some extra shopping time !

Good Luck

10. Re: travel time to LAX for 11.30pm international flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:17