We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about switching from The Riviera

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking about switching from The Riviera

My husband and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary and are booked to go to the Riviera Resort mid August. In reading reviews it looks to be quite a party hotel on the weekends and now I'm not sure I booked the right hotel. We want something trendy but classy too with a good pool and spa services - a cool spot to have a cocktail. We are in our 40's and not looking for the 21 year old party scene but not something boring either! (Price not a huge concern). We are going from a Thursday to a Tuesday and plan to rent a car. Would Parker Palm Springs be a better option or perhaps something else? I'm not sure I have a great feeling about the Riviera now and am worried. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

The Parker is a beautiful hotel with large grounds. It's very serene. I love this hotel, but Colony Palms is by far my favorite in PS and edges out Parker IMO

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

Colony Palms looks fantastic, very quiet and luxurious....I wonder if it's too quiet? How far is it to downtown...trying to decide if we actually need to rent a car or just take cabs. I was also looking at the Hyatt...seems really nice and modern in a good location. I think Colony Palms has a more unique vibe though....if Im reading reviews right.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

I love the Hyatt in downtown PS. When I stay in Palm Springs, I want to be able to walk to the restaurants and shops, to Villagefest on Thursday night, without having to park the car somewhere.

I like that you are in a suite hotel. Ask for a room on the back side, it overlooks a golf course and mountains, and the swimming pool down below.

Enjoy your stay.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

Hyatt attracts a lot of families - meaning lots of screaming kids in the pool.

Colony Palms is close to downtown, you can definitely walk to everything you need/want to do!

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

While I like the Parker, and it even has a separate kiddie pool so adults can relax at their own pool, during a recent visit there were a lot of families with kids. I think you'd need to get one of the pricey villas for total privacy. There's also the issue that you'd need to get in the car to go to any other restaurants and shops.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

We stay at the Hyatt in downtown PS. That hotel does not have the kiddies like the Hyatt in Indian Wells where there are 7 pools and water slide. The small pool in downtown does not attract families, there is no wow factor, but it's excellent for couples to be out in the sun. They also have cabana's.

We like to be able to walk to restaurants and shops and the Thursday night Villagefest, so you don't have to drive. They close off streets on Palm Canyon Dr near the Hyatt, and you can enjoy entertainment, food and crafts in the evening.

We like the rooms facing the golf course and mountains in the back, enjoy the suite hotel very much.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

Thank you for your replies, very helpful! Leaning towards Colony Palms although will check out pricing at the Hyatt-. Now on to the next - anniversary dinner spot! more research :)

8. Re: Thinking about switching from The Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16