We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late October Golf

Calgary
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Late October Golf

Looking for some advice re golf in late October (23-26) as it's the only time we can get away. I have researched this forum and elsewhere quite a bit. I've seen the overseeding schedule. It looks like there will still be a number of courses open, but, I still have some questions. Such as: For courses that have yet to close for overseeding, will they be in rough shape? For courses that have just re-opened, will they be so soft as to be unplayable? Will green fees be high seeing as less courses are open? Should we save Palm Springs for another trip and go to San Diego or Phoenix instead?

We are avid golfers, but we aren't super picky. We mostly play municipal courses at home. I just don't want to go at the worst possible time and be disappointed. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,511 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late October Golf

The courses are usually in very good shape just before they scalp them. They are just switching over to the winter grass. PS has something like 120 courses, you won't be disappointed.

There is some down time while the new grass grows in,but when they open they are playable.

Here is an example of the Phoenix overseed schedule.

https:/…201320Overseeding20schedule.pdf

Edited: 13 July 2014, 05:40
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late October Golf

I won't post the schedule since you say you've seen it.

My experience is that it really varies from year to year. Some years the courses are not really ready to open when they do. It isn't so much softness, as sometimes there are burnt or bare patches or the grass is thin and not very sturdy. These areas might be roped off as unplayable, or not.

If the course hasn't closed yet they should be okay although some courses skimp on mowing the fairways in summer.

So while the weather is great, often the courses aren't and the prices are not as reasonable as they should be, due to lack of supply!

Calgary
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late October Golf

Many thanks for the helpful responses.

4. Re: Late October Golf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:17