We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

England
Level Contributor
44 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

Am visiting in August for 7 days and have already planned a spa visit for the day/morning, a hummer ride in the Joshua National Park and plan to lay by the pool most mornings.

Any ideas on what to do in the afternoons or evenings?

We've got a car so can drive to any other interesting places for the day or afternoon.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

Actually, it's so hot in August, well over a 100 degrees, that I would do the Spa treatment in the afternoon, where you can be inside in A/C. Spend time at the pool in the mornings. Many things are closed in the summer, we usually go to movies in the afternoon or to the mall. It doesn't cool down until later in the evenings. You should take the Tram ride in Palm Springs, it is cooler on the top of the mountain.

California
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

The Indian canyons are are a great sight to see on the edge of Palm Springs. These are a natural riparion habitat (oasis) with streams and wild palm trees. Great place to hike. Check with your connections for more info on this ---or check www.planetware.com/palm springs ---- www.virtualtourist.com ---- or the PalmSprings tourist bureau for more details.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

Since it's August you may want to consider some of the museums for indoor attractions.

Ie: the art museum downtown, the air museum, there are also some smaller museums in nearby towns ie: the hi desert nature museum in yucca valley. what sorts of things are you interested in? (ie: art? history? desert stuff?)

Also, there is knotts soak city waterpark which would cool you down!

but i would agree, definitly do the tram one afternoon!!

Houston
Level Contributor
132 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

We've been twice over July 4th weekend and one time the temps topped 110. It wasn't that bad but, then again, we live in Houston where it is hot and humid so the dry heat doesn't feel overwhelming.

Anyway, I would take in an early morning hike in Joshua Tree National Park. You can always take the tram up to escape the heat. One other option is to take the palms to pine highway (I think that's what it's called) up to Idylwild - a mountain town at around 5,000 feet. It's a nice 1 1/2 hour drive (very scenic) and the town is great.

Check out my travel blog at travelfix.blogspot.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

I would save the pool lounging for the afternoons and use the mornings for shopping/strolling outside. Joshua Tree is amazing, and the Hummer tours are great. Also check out the Tram ride for fantastic views.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

Try getting out of the heat for a day!

Check out Julian, a nice drive through the mountains.

Take CA SR 74 up the hill out of Palm Desert.

Left on CA SR 371. Left on CA SR 79 right into Julian for apple pie, shopping and wandering.

From there, you can take CA SR 78 back down into the desert via Anza Borrego, which is amazing.

Turn left on CA SR 86, then hang another left on CA SR 111 and back to Palm Springs you go, having enjoyed a thoroughly wonderful day trip!

England
Level Contributor
44 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

thanks guys and gals for the ideas

8. Re: Staying in Palm Springs for 7 days..Any ideas on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 03:19