We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay near Stanford with a car

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
where to stay near Stanford with a car

What would be an ideal place to stay near Stanford for 1-2 months with a family if we rent a car? Our budget: $3-4,500 per month. All big apartment complexes on-campus or close to it either don't provide short term rentals or have only 30 days notice, so not booking in advance.

I have a general idea of surrounding towns and craiglist, so a specific tip would be appreciated.

Is the area enjoyable during Jan-Febr or we should not plan much walking and touring?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

oakcreekapts.com/Apartments/…3975

I wasn't able to find anything on this site about short-term rentals, but it's worth checking. The location is ideal for access to Stanford.

Jan and Feb are the rainiest months, but you just never know. The weather has been kind of unusual lately. When it's not raining, though, it should be quite nice, including a lot of sunshine and mild temps (50s and 60s)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

I think the link that PG gave you is for a company which does short term apartment rentals for corporations who send employees to a location for a month or so.

We lived in one of these for 8 months while waiting for a new condo complex to be built...but not an Oaktree property.

You might try googling corporate short term rentals. I know there are several outfits which specialize in this.

Good luck.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

I misread...she gave you Oakcreek.....try Oaktree.

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

Oak Creek has this statement on their website:

Fully furnished coporate apartments available on a month to month basis

Contact them directly. It is close to campus but has great access to 280,

which will give you easy access by car north to SF and south to San Jose and Santa Cruz.

During the week, Stanford has free Marguerite bus service which can help you get to and around campus without a car.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

Many thanks for the advice! I tried with them, but they don't know availability until a month before moving in.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

Oakwood suggested me the following three options. What to prefer?

Oakwood Mountain View

555 West Middlefield Road

Mountain View, California United States

Sharon Green

350 Sharon Park Drive

Menlo Park, California United States

Parker Palo Alto

1094 Tanland Drive

Palo Alto, California United States

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

Out of the three locations, I like the Menlo Park one the best for the neighborhood it's in. Mtvw's neighborhood is safe but shabby but is within walking distance to downtown Mtvw. The Palo Alto location is too close to a freeway and too far from shopping for my taste.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

Thanks! You mention you lived in one of them. Can you recall which one? Most of them have bad reviews...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

It is not what you asked for but also look at long term hotel options like Extended Stay America, Residence Inn or other similar ones if you run out of ideas.

10. Re: where to stay near Stanford with a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 04:17