We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go to San Francisco from Palo Alto

Singapore
Level Contributor
314 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to go to San Francisco from Palo Alto

Hi

I will be staying at Crowne Plaza hotel near El Calmino for business and is planning to go to San Francisco during weekend.

Can anyone advise how do I go about travelling from Palo Alto to San Francisco and I am not driving? Also, once in San Fran, how do I get to the places of interest such as golden gate bridge, chinatown etc?

Thanks a lot

northern california
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go to San Francisco from Palo Alto

I would take the hotel shuttle to the Cal Train ( train schedule online). Only about 0.5 mile from the hotel. Cal Train will get you to the city. I would only walk 4th street (where the train ends) to Market street during the day when other people around. On Market you can take the Powell Street/Hyde cable car to fisherman's wharf. You can see the golden gate bridge from the wharf. San Francisco is very much a walking city. Pick up a map on Market Street at Westfield Shopping Mall. You could walk to Chinatown from Market. You could even walk to the wharf through Chinatown forgetting the hills. You can rent a bike at the wharf and bike all the way to the bridge. On Market Street you could also catch a Bart Rapid Transit train(underground at Market) to the Airport and pick up a hotel shuttle back to your hotel but Cal Train is the fastest to Palo Alto.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go to San Francisco from Palo Alto

You can use this website to plan Bay Area public transit trips. It includes transit times, walking time and fare amounts.

http://www.511.org/

I've found the best way to get to the Golden Gate Bridge from downtown is by Golden Gate Transit but make sure you get off at the stop just before it crosses the bridge. Of course, renting a bike at Fisherman's Wharf would be more fun but do that in the afternoon so you can go across on one side and come back on the other. See the bridge website for more details.

3. Re: How to go to San Francisco from Palo Alto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Palo Alto