We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
46 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Topic
Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

I'm a product manager on the TripAdvisor iOS and Android apps. We're always looking for people to tells us how to make the apps better. TripAdvisor West is located right on University Avenue, near all the downtown shops and restaurants.

Would you stop by our office and tells us your ideas, suggestions, and get a sneak preview of unreleased prototype apps?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,525 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Is the PA team responsible for the TA apps (both the city guide and the TA App) on the iphone and Ipad ?

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Thanks Jenazz, let me read that forum first and learn from what has already been posted there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,525 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Melissa

TA itself has rules about posting here -- content, who the users are, duplicate accounts.

We have seen TA Staff post here about a survey or a session etc. so what you ask is not new as far as I can see but i don't get the postings as TA_staff and then via your own personal account - posting hotel suggestions as TA_Staff and the replies to your TA visit using your own personal account.

Look, TA your company is a stickler for all these rules -- They wrote them, I did not so perhaps you may want to ask TA about their own policies about what can be posted and via which account.

Basic common sense would suggest that one should use TA_staff accounts for all TA related correspondence and personal TA account for your personal views and postings and there should be kept separate so as to not show any favoritism .

Secondly and this is what puzzles me more than anything else

I personally have had many issues with the TA iphone and Ipad App and initially posted that issue over a year ago in the Support forum and I was told that i should file a support request with all my bugs. I did that over a year ago and subsequent to that, earlier this year, I filed a series of bugs and issues with the app and I did get a reply saying they were filed and would be reviewed

Now I am not here complaining as to why my issues were not fixed. I realize every support team has different priorities and only so many resources and so little time

What I am asking about is the process. Clearly your Support team has some tool internally which you can access which should have bugs as well as enhancement requests filed and they should be the ones that most product managers would use to determine bug fixes, priority of bugs, enhancement release et al. I get it that you want to improve your product and hats off to you for taking the initiative but I don't get the process you are trying to follow.

But again as a huge user of the mobile apps, I welcome your initiative to reach out directly to the users. Please don't get me wrong. I am not here asking you why you are posting here. I am just asking for some clarification on the TA process.

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Sorry for the account confusion! I was replying from my home computer which was logged in to my personal account, and now that I'm at my work computer it's from my staff account. Just had to do with working from home on a Sunday night.

I will check with support in Newton to see what bugs have been filed and make sure they are addressed in our upcoming mobile builds. Sorry the company has been unresponsive in the past, I hope I can change that, at least for the realm I control in native mobile apps.

I had posted in this forum hoping to invite people who were traveling here to stop by. I'll try the Support forum in the future.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
46 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
25. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Ah, nevermind. I'm still posting from my personal account because my browser is logged in to my personal Facebook account, and TripAdvisor won't let me log out of my personal account. That's why. I'll add it to the list of improvements for desktop and relay to the person in charge of forums.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,525 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Are you looking for feedback on the iphone and ipad or just the iphone. I will be happy to Pm you my issues if it is for both.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
46 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
27. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

Send me both. I can directly act on the phone issues, but will send what pertains to tablet to the PM in charge. They are also working on a new version right now.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

I don't find it the least bit odd that TA would invite passersby in the area to just stop by and give input. That's how a lot of market research is done - everywhere. Just happens to be on University Avenue (I'm so tempted to drive up - it's only 5.5 hours for me).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,968 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

>>>Well, only one negative comment. I can't come even for free food, because I am one of only 3 people in the Bay Area not using a smart phone. So I know nothing about apps.<<<

1 of 2 now TSS, Grumpy Old Man Jone's son bought him an iPhone Friday. :)

Jenazz, I'd say that just because TA hasn't acted on all the issues raised yet in other forums, etc. Doens't mean they are not listening. Somethings are harder to do than others and some times there are conflicting priorities.

I never realized how complex applications were until I was asked to sit on a committee for Seibel designing a new CRM for my company. Way more involved than I ever thought and I came to appreciate why somethings take longer than others or maybe just not practical.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,851 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Come to TripAdvisor office, share suggestions and ideas

I just think it's ironic that you're finding out about bugs all on your own by participating in this thread :)

I won't be in Palo Alto anytime soon (as far as I know), so here's my two cents:

I absolutely hate the mobile version, it's very unfriendly and counter-intuitive. Also, ever since TA did away with being able to see the OP's first post in a thread, while replying, makes for having to have two tabs open at one time to address their question (to see it).

Melissa, I highly recommend posting in the DE forum for suggestions. DE's use TA forums more often than anyone, many times throughout the day.