We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

Hello! My husband, who has mobility problems, and I will be going to the 2018 Rose Bowl game (bucket list item) and are wondering where would be the best place to stay, Pasadena or L.A. We have been to the area but it has been many years. We do travel a lot but usually have to take cabs everywhere or hire a driver. I would like a hotel that we could walk a short distance to retaurants, shops, etc. I will be going to the parade alone and then meeting him at the stadium ( I think it is within walking distance). Should I buy a grandstand tcket? I would also like to be able to view the floats before and/or after the parade. Not sure how we will get back to the hotel area with all of the traffic and crowds. I would love to stay at a beach area but I think it would be too isolated and too far? Would be grateful for any help! Jamie

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
6 replies to this topic
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

Because you both aren't attending the parade, and because of the mobility issues, Pasadena seems like the obvious choice. I'm not familiar with the hotel situation in Pasadena, but it's a nice friendly area in general. Downtown LA has more hotels and reasonable proximity to Pasadena, but seems complicated to me because you won't be together and you will need taxis/Uber for a longer distance. Also I don't find downtown LA as inviting an area, especially at night.

Santa Monica is a great choice for a beach community, but wouldn't be viable for your Rose Bowl situation.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
31,331 posts
6,311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

We usually stay at the Marriott Courtyard as its a short walk to the bus to take on to the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl is not withing walking distance unless you get there early and park there.

There are lots of restaurants within walking distance of the Marriott Courtyard.

Pasadena has lots of traffic throughout the day. When the parade ends, everyone is trying to drive on.

Many have spent their night on Colorado Blvd where the Rose Parade is and want to get home to get some sleep and watch the Bowl game on TV. Just expect it to be very slow traffic if you try to drive.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Its in the Old Pasadena Area

https://www.oldpasadena.org/

Tournament of Roses Web Site

https://www.tournamentofroses.com/

If you do take the shuttle, just realize everyone leaves at the same time.

The line might look very very very long

but they do a good job of getting people on the bus and moving on.

You might want to "hang out" for a while after the game if standing in line that long is a difficulty.

Shuttle to Rose Bowl

http://foothilltransit.org/rose-bowl/

Mentioned in this post
The Rose Hotel
The Rose Hotel
174 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Rose Parade
Rose Parade
113 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Old Pasadena
Old Pasadena
626 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
144 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

I agree ... stay in Pasadena. In your case, getting a grandstand ticket for the parade is a good idea since you're by yourself. However, finding a spot along the street isn't too difficult if you 1) get there early enough, 2) don't mind people in front of you, and 3) bring a chair or don't mind standing for several hours. To view the floats, go the next day since you are attending the game. You won't have time that afternoon. Be aware that it will be VERY crowded ... use a shuttle ... check the parade website for shuttle information. Depending on your husband's mobility issues (is he in a wheelchair?) you might be able to get into the viewing area early before it gets horribly crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

Staying in Pasadena will be expensive, as most hotels increase their prices enormously during this period...2-3 times, with minimum stays. The best located for your purposes are Courtyard, Residence Inn and Pasadena Inn, a budget choice near Old Pasadena.

Many people stay in Downtown LA and take the Gold Line light rail to Pasadena. This will be cheaper, and the Gold Line is fast and convenient. I often recommend the Miyako in Little Tokyo, which is in a pedestrian-friendly area of DTLA and has a Gold Line station.

I see no particular advantage to Grandstand seats, unless you can snag a primo one (expensive) near Colorado x Orange Grove.

Look at the official Tournament of Roses website for information on parking and access to the Rose Bowl area for disabled visitors.

The walk from Orange Grove x Colorado to the Rose Bowl is about 1.5 miles/40 minutes. Or there is a shuttle from the Parsons parking lot in Old Pasadena.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 21:03
Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Old Pasadena
Old Pasadena
626 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
778 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Little Tokyo
Little Tokyo
762 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Orange
Orange
Orange County, CA
The Rose Hotel
The Rose Hotel
174 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Exton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

Hi, Great questions, I don't have any answers but have the same questions. Although we are staying at the Sportsman is studio city, a great place and low proce, but I would like to take a bus or something to the parade but its on a holiday? i will be watching to see if we get any answers. SDD

Level Contributor
5,984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for the Rose Bowl

You didn't mention any budget restrictions, but Pasadena hotels are already full for the weekend, or very expensive.

If you stayed in Downtown L.A. you could take Gold Line Metro to Pasadena but that would involve some walking once you get to Pasadena. Or an Uber or Taxi for your husband to the stadium.

If you stay in Glendale you can take the Express bus to Pasadena which takes 15-20 mins and makes no stops until it gets to Pasadena. Depending on where you stay in Glendale, you might have a 5 min taxi ride to the bus.

If Glendale hotels are full, there is also Express Bus service from Burbank. The bus will make one stop in Glendale along the way.

For Dave who is staying way out at the Sportsmens Lodge, you'll have to Uber or Taxi or take bus connections to the North Hollywood Metro Station. From there you can catch the Express Bus (501) to Pasadena. The alternate which takes longer but is cheaper and easier, is to take the Sportsmens Lodge shuttle to Universal (if it runs that early in the a.m.) and then take Red Line Subway to downtown, and switch to Gold Line subway to Pasadena. Allow about 1 hr 20mins for this from the time you leave Sportsmens lodge to the time you'll arrive in Pasadena. Your hotel will help you with directions.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Glendale
Glendale
California
Burbank
Burbank
California
Hollywood
Hollywood