We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Dallas
2 posts
Save Topic
Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

We are possibly relocating to LA, and have a 13 yr old daughter. We would be looking into 2 bedroom apts, in a good school district for our 8th grader. Commute would be to Los Angeles and we are hoping to find a decent 2B, 2B apartment that allows small dogs, for $1200/mo or so.

I have no idea about rents in the area, nor the schools, Just wanted some feedback about possible areas to look into w/ good schools and a "reasonable commute" (*smiling knowingly here) to USC area.

thanks,

Cee

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Well, if you're looking in the burns, which means the Valley... I don't think it will be as difficult to find a 2ba/2ba for around $1200 but it won't be easy. You may have to move far out to Pasadena, Glendale, Montrose, maybe around Valley Glen in the San Fernando Valley. But... if you're going to be working at USC, I would look into Alhambra, which has some nice areas.

I don't have children but these areas are nice and for the most part, not LA Unified, except for the San Fernando Valley areas. Also, money is attributed by property taxes, so I would look for a neighborhood with nice homes because the schools will be nicer. However, with these areas I've given, it won't be too difficult.

Commute time... that's another thing.... since you're working at USC, I would stay towards San Gabriel Valley area than San Fernando. The commute will be at least an hour to an hour and a half because of the 10 Freeway, which is a neighmare but better than the 405.

Dallas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Appreciate the info, I am feeling a bit daunted by this, Husband would like to commute 1 hour max, but our financial situation would only allow at this point, $1200 or $1400 max for rent in an apt choice, 2Bed/2 Bath.

LA unified? what does that refer to?

Thanks for your help,

C.

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Hi! I have friends who moved to Glendale, CA, so their little daughter would be in a good school. It is a very nice family oriented town...lots of churches, too. Very pretty town, nice homes & apartments, pretty mountains & nice people.

My friends looked up ratings of Glendale schools on the net, and moved into that neighborhood with a good school. So you might consider doing that.....the Los Angeles public schools (LAUSD) are not considered very good.

Oh, if you are able to consider a good private school (if you decide to live in Los Angeles)....Pilgrim School (grades 1 through 12) is an extremely good school! It is connected with the First Congregational Church of Los Angeles at 6th St. & Commonwealth Ave. Graduates from Pilgrim School get into very good universities.

Pasadena, CA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

We've just spent a week looking around here under somewhat similar circumstances (no kids, but also commuting to near USC).

We ended up like Pasadena a lot - a kind of city within a city. From here there is a light rail link to Union station downtown, and USC runs a shuttle service from there.

You can find some 2 bedroom condos for rent for $1200 around here. Median rent for decent houses is about $2k. Unfortunately, almost no listings are public. You really need to use an agency. We wasted a bunch of time chasing ads from the papers. Ended up using Westside rentals, which gave us 60+ listings, and we found a place the same day. Good news with the services is that most have pictures and maps, so you can get a pretty good idea remotely.

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Hi again Cee...yes, I agree, Pasadena is very nice. And our Gold Line (light rail) is very good for commuting!! Nice, clean trains. We also have a great subway, the Red Line, that makes it easy to get around, too.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

this may help you..or may not. it combines craigslist with google maps. there are pasadena listings in there.

http://paulrademacher.com/housing/

Pasadena, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

I see folks recommending Pasadena...as a Pasadenan with a 12 year old, I must caution you if you value your daughter's education, you should factor in costs for private school if you live in Pasadena. Public schools here are dismal (yes, all of them - there's only one good public school, but it's only K-6) and consistently score in the bottom 40% (or lower) of schools nationwide in standardized testing. Similar area, much better schools: South Pasadena. Don't know anything about rents there, though, since we own our home in Pasadena. Good luck!

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Hi again Cee....I didn't realize the Pasadena schools are not good. In that case, I again recommend Glendale...as I said in my previous post, I have friends there and their daughter is in a very good public school. (They researched ratings on the net.) Glendale (a separate city) is right next door to Pasadena & L.A.

pasadena, CA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

Most LA area schools are pretty poor. Those that can afford it and really care about education send thier kids to private schools. Expect to pay about $10,000., for junior high and application process begins the Fall prior.

Rents are high but Pasadena has a glut of new apartments these days. Traffic can be rough but htere is a new "gold line" system, a train that can take you into LA. It is slower than driving (depending on the hour) but is an option. LA is pretty spread out and a car is a must.

Having said all the above, most of us that live here love it! Pasadena is beautiful, very green, wonderful architecture, and lots of culture.

Ann Arbor, MI
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Possibley relocating to LA, ? commute times from burbs...

I happened to click on this post because I'm returning to South Pasadena for my 20th high school reunion. I don't know what the S. Pas. school system is like these days, but I had an absolutely fabulous experience back then. Sorry I don't know anything about rental rates or availability.