We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to pasadena

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
9 posts
Save Topic
moving to pasadena

My husband and I may be relocating from the East Coast to Pasadena for a job at Caltech. We're looking for advice about neighborhoods where we might rent an apartment for the first year. We are 35 yrs old, used to living in an urban environment where we can walk or take public transportation for day to day needs, cafes, bookstores, museums, antique shops, etc. We hope to avoid a suburban area that requires a lot of driving. Are there neighborhoods near Caltech that might suit our needs? Any advice or information about the area will help. Thanks!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to pasadena

Welcome to Pasadena. I hope your transition is a positive one. Pasadena is an easy city to get around in. It is not, however, in my opinion much of an urban environment. More suburban if you ask me. That said, I bike to the farmers market and the grocery. I also ride to cafes and bookstores quite easily. Near Paseo Colorado and Old Town you will find a more urban feel with Vromans bookstore, Gelson's market, wine bistros and plenty of shops within walking distance of apartment life. The Gold line is also easily accessible. It can take you downtown and also connects with other rail lines.

If you do plan on moving here, you should definitely come for an extended visit for as long as possible before renting an apartment to find what you like. I think you will find it a charming and accessible city as I have.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to pasadena

My Husband was a NYC transplant to Pasadena many years ago. Forget about public transportation its just not popular in Pasadena or SoCal period! Yes, its become more popular in cities such as Pasadena that have become trendy and business friendly. But Pasadena still is like most SoCal cities a suburban city that has become busier. You won't find to many problems with parking or learning to get around. Pasadena is pedestrian friendly as well. There are great areas to live surrounding Caltech many apartments,condos,townhomes and some very, very expensive houses. You don't have to live near Caltech if you have a car. There are many affordable surrounding cities as another option. When you research surrounding cities to live you'll notice a major price difference between Pasadena and other cities most has to do with its convenient location in relation to downtown LA. That's doesn't seem to be your issue. You'll have to decide if living in Pasadena is worth the price. Good Luck!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
312 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to pasadena

Wonder if the Caltech student housing office might help you find a way to outreach online to graduating seniors/grad students who might be letting their places go?

4. Re: moving to pasadena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 05:43