We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

Hi there,

Coming to north LA next week to visit Occidental College with my son while he attends a baseball camp there. Hotwire is offering a 5-star Pasadena hotel at a good rate. I'm guessing it might be the hotel that used to be the Ritz-Carlton (Langham-Huntington)? Since I will just be hanging out while he's at the camp, this might be a nice place to do so. Anyone have any experience with Hotwire 5-star offerings and what hotel this might be? And how is the LH (for under $200 per night)?

Thanks,

S

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

The former Ritz is probably a good bet, but I would suggest that you post in the forums at www.betterbidding.com - they are good at helping "decode" hotwire listings, based on price, location, stars, and amenities.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

I went ahead and pulled the trigger--it was the Langham-Huntington, and I got it for $162 per night. Their summer special through the hotel home site isn't bad either--$200 per night with breakfast and free valet parking. Place looks lovely, and it's cheaper than many pedestrian looking places in the area. Looking forward to just strolling around their grounds!

s

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

Be sure to visit the Huntington Library and Gardens (and have high tea there too!), and also visit the Norton Simon Museum, both of which aren't too far from your hotel. If any reason you won't have a car, be sure to avail yourself of the Gold Line light rail train that runs through the area - you can use it to reach other parts of Pasadena, and also take it to Union Station in downtown LA which is the major public transit hub for the region, its easy to get to lots of other places from there.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

The Langham is set in a beautiful neighborhood of historic homes. The spectacular Blacker House, designed by Greene and Greene, is only a couple of blocks away, at the corner of Pinehurst and... Hillcrest or Wentworth. Do take a stroll around, for an enjoyable look at some gorgeous 1900-era homes.

Also, walk around the hotel gardens and don't miss a stroll across the covered bridge, with (deteriorating but still charming) landscape paintings in each bay depicting California landscapes.

There is a nice afternoon tea on weekends, I think, at the hotel, with piano music.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

Thank you MachThree and Pasca for the great suggestions. As I'll have my mornings to myself as son plays baseball, I love the idea of wandering around the neighborhood and checking out the Norton Simon. Looking forward to a relaxing summer getaway!

S

southern california
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

If the Norton Simon is on your agenda (and on the way to Oxy), the Gamble House, a Green and Green Masterpiece, is just up Orange Grove,a block or two from the NS. You'll love the Langham, great neighborhood.

7. Re: Hotwire 5-star hotel in Pasadena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 05:16