We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

My father wants to go to the Rose Parade this coming January. He has cancer and cannot walk very far. As we will be coming from Montana, we will need a room nearby. A couple questions:

1. We are thinking of getting tickets in Area 2 of the parade route. Is this a good area for viewing?

2. Should we consider a parking pass, or take a taxi? How close could the parking pass be to the acutal grandstands? I read somewhere they are within 1 1/2 miles...he could not walk that far. Is there handicapped access?

3. Any idea of a convenient motel that won't break the bank?

We are going to make this happen this year for my Dad...thanks in advance for your help!

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

The best seats are the grandstands at the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado. Anything that is special will happen at this corner because it is where the TV cameras are. The problem for you will be that there are only a couple of close parking lots. Area 2 will be OK, though. Generally, I think you are best trying to be as far west as you can.

If you worry about overtaxing your father, call Sharp Seating and tell them your needs. They can put a package of grandstand seats and parking together for you that will be easy for him. They sell all of the grandstand seats so there is no need to call around. And they have deals with most of the parking lots.

I think you should get parking passes. I don't see a lot of taxis around here and it will be chaotic on the 1st so you may not be able to get one when you need to go in the morning and it will be almost impossible to get one after the parade, unless you wait a long time until the crowd thins out.

Motels are hard to come by that time of the year. I saw on another post someone got a room at the Saga Motel which would be OK. The motels along Colorado Blvd eat of Hill would be the best priced ones. Those are the low quality, questionable ones. I think all of them raise their rates and their minimum stays during that time. You could also look at motels in Arcadia, it is only 6 or 7 miles away. There are a couple of good ones on Colorado Blvd in Arcadia near Santa Anita Race Track.

You should look into getting tickets to see one of the float decorating barns. It is your best chance to get a close up view of the floats and see the frantic decorating of them just before the parade. You probably want to skip the Post Parade display, it is a lot of walking. There is also a showcase for the bands called Bandfest and a showcase for the equestrian units called Equestfest. They are held on the 29th or 30th. You can get tickets for all four from Sharp seating as well.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

We went down to LA for the Rose Parade last year. We purchased a package deal (Google Rose Parade) that included hotel near LAX, bus to/from the parade site, and entry to the barns. I hope you can score a special seating arrangement, because we had to walk a long, long way from where the bus parked to the bleachers. Taxi is a better option; lots of traffic diversions and closed streets, but that is the taxi driver's problem. Skip the barns where the floats are decorated. We stood in a line that move glacially for two hours, only to be hurried along when we finally got inside. We got a better look at floats being decorated on the street. I'll guarantee you that your Dad will not be able to hack it (we were 80 at the time).

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

Definitely contact Sharp to see what they can do for you. I would plan to have your dad use a wheelchair while here. You can get tickets to the float display the day after the parade. There is special viewing for the handicapped early in the morning the day after the parade. It's still crowded but not nearly as crowded as later on.

There are still rooms available for the 2 Best Western motels on east Colorado Blvd., beyond the parade route. Of course they are charging very high rates, but so will everyone else anywhere close to Pasadena. A lot of the package tours have you staying in hotels no where near Pasadena. If you can push your dad in a wheelchair I would stay in downtown LA, because there is very good public transportation to Pasadena, and it is all handicapped accessible, but I would act fast because rooms are going fast. Several of the large nice hotels downtown still have space. The Omni, which is very nice, has rooms for under $200/night, plus taxes. From any downtown hotel I would take a taxi to Union Station and then take the Gold Line to Pasadena. There are several stations you can use to exit and get to the parade, depending on where your seats are. Or, if you want to spend the money for the sake of convenience, look into hiring a driver for the day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

Above advice is excellent, especially about calling Sharp Seating www.sharpseating.com

There are many hotels/motels within easy driving distance of Pasadena including those in downtown Los Angeles. If you will have a rental car and Sharp Seating can get you reserved parking close to your seats (which I think is essential for you anyway), staying in Pasadena is not necessary.

We stay in this economical, but nice Comfort Inn with free garage parking tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d272668-… which is about 12 miles from Pasadena, although I am sure there are many other satisfactory choices.

5. Re: Rose Parade with elderly parents- taxi, parking???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Pasadena