We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

We have tickets to the Rose Bowl on 1/1. We will be staying in the Century City area of LA. We were planning to drive from our hotel in Century City to the Rose Bowl and park there. I have heard that the parking is tough and the traffic is really bad. We were planning to leave early (7-8am) to get to the stadium and park. The game begins at 2pm. Will have trouble finding parking at that time? Also, if we do get there that early and find a spot, is it possible to get into the town of Pasadena from the stadium to see a bit of the parade and check out the town. Is it walkable from the stadium parking lots to the town and back? We've never been and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

The walk from the Stadium to the main part of Pasadena is 1 1/2 -1 3/4 miles. The stadium is closer to the start of the parade route and unfortunately this is where the parade route gets jammed with people who camp out overnight etc. to get a good viewing spot, so you'd probably need to make your way towards the end of the route to be able to view the parade. Fortunately, the Metro Gold Line light rail train has several stops along the route (or within 1/4 mile or so of the route) - these being Del Mar, Memorial Park, Lake, Allen and Sierra Madre stations. The first two are towards the beginning of the route (and its worth mentioning that the Memorial Park station is the closest station to the Rose Bowl about 1 3/4 miles away) while the latter 3 are further along the route and you'd have a better chance to see the parade from there.

Note the parade starts at 8AM, takes 2+ hours to completely pass by any given spot and the start of the parade reaches the very end of the route a bit after 10AM, completely finishing a little after noon. So if you leave Century City at 7 or 8AM, then arrive at the Rose Bowl, then need to get yourself to the parade, you've really got no chance to see the parade at the start of the route and would need to go towards the end anyway.

Note also that there are free shuttle buses between the parking lot of the Parsons corporation (about 1/4 mile from the Memorial Park station) and the stadium. I don't know the exact hours that they run or if you can use them to return from the stadium to see the parade early in the morning.

Also its worth noting that the parade route is between the stadium and the Memorial Park station - I'm not quite sure if its possible, and if so how, to cross the parade route while the parade is in progress on that portion of the route. Maybe another local can help?

All that being said, I really do not recommend driving in to Pasadena that day. Save yourself the cost, the trouble and the traffic headaches. What I would do instead would be to drive from Century City to the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. Under the shopping center on the northwest corner there is a huge parking structure that doesn't cost all that much to park in (especially if you buy a cup of coffee in the center and get your ticket validated). Also under the center is a station for the Red Line subway. Take the subway from here to Union Station. At Union Station you can take the Gold Line into Pasadena. The Red line from Hollywood to Union Station takes about 25 minutes of actual transit time on the train, and the trains run every 12 minutes. The Gold Line takes 20 minutes or so from Union Station to Pasadena, and the trains normally run every 12 minutes but on New Years they run more often than that.

You could take the Gold Line from Union Station to one of the stations near the end of the route (Lake, Allen, Sierra Madre). Then take the Gold Line back to the Memorial Park station and walk from there to the Stadium, or walk to Parsons and take the shuttle bus from there.

In terms of seeing Pasadena itself - I imagine it will be jam packed on New Years Day for obvious reasons but Memorial Park and Del Mar stations on the Gold Line are really closest to the main parts of town.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

By the way, here is a map that illustrates where the Gold Line stations, stadium, and parade route are in relation to one-another:

http://tinyurl.com/27oasqq

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,066 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

Parking for the game itself isn't that bad and if you got there at 9AM you'd have little problem parking by the stadium, but up on the parade route there are over a million people so you don't just stroll into downtown, flop on the street to watch the parade and grab a quick bite.

You might be able to still find grandstand seating near Orange Grove & Colorado which is close to the stadium.

Other than that the Metro is your best bet. You can park at Hollywood & Highland as Mach suggests or just head down to Union Station and park there.

The heart of Pasadena is pretty crowded, but the crowds are sparser down at the Gold Line Allen St station or Sierra Madre, near where the parade ends. You could then ride the Gold Line back to the Memorial Park station and walk to the Rose Bowl from there. Depending on where your seats are it is close to a two mile walk.

So if the parade ends at 12 noon at Sierra Madre, that means the last part is hitting Allen St at maybe 11:30. You still have time probably to head into Old Town (the Memorial Park or Del Mar Station) for a quick lunch before walking down to the stadium.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

Thanks for the very helpful info.

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

I'll be driving up from San Diego for the game, and would like to make the driving and parking as painless as possible. I was also thinking of taking the one of the subway lines into/out of Pasadena.

Is there another good, safe option for a "park 'n' ride" location along the subway route(s)? Maybe something like the Highland Park or Mission stops on the Gold Line?

Thanks in advance....

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

Might there be a shuttle bus service working during the pre-parade float decorating time and Rose Bowl time periods from Memorial Park to the Rose Bowl?

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

Oops, sorry I just saw where the shuttle service will be working for the Rose Bowl. Will it also be working during the float decorating time?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

If you exit the Gold Line at the Filmore station the pre-parade float decorating viewing area at 835 S. Raymond St. is only a short (less than 1/4 mile) walk from there.

For the other site on the Rose Bowl grounds at 700 Seco St., the best thing will probably be to walk from the Memorial Park Gold Line station though the walk will be about 1 1/2 miles.

I don't believe there are any shuttles to the float decorating sights.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

You might also check with the concierge office of the Hyatt Century Plaza Hotel to see if they have scheduled any shuttle services to the parade and game. It is such a huge hotel and their are always so many Rose Bowl bound guests, I would not be surprised if special shuttles have been scheduled. Even if you aren't staying there, they should be able to help you.

Edited: 24 December 2010, 04:31
10. Re: Rose Bowl Parking and Logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 06:22