We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carmichael...
14 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

We're thinking about coming down from I-210 Northwest and parking at the stadium and will buy a parking permit in advance. How early do we need to get there? If using public transportation, where should we park the car at? We will stay for the night somewhere in L.A. , but don’t want to spend over $200 for the night. Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

I-210? From Monterey? Don't know it.

You don't mean Hwy 101?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

The 210 goes from Sylmar to Redlands. OP will catch this if he comes down using I-5, after the grapevine. To OP if you want to stay the night in LA before the Rose Bowl game, you may want to consider Hollywood. You don't want to stay too close to Pasadena as hotel prices triple the week before new year.

Carmichael...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

Google shows a shorter drive via 101 to I-5 and I-210, which takes 5 hours. We can come down on 101 all the way if it easier. Here is Google direction: http://goo.gl/maps/uMrzO

Please advise. We cannot leave Monterey until January 1st morning so I was wondering when we need to leave Monterey if we have bought a parking at the Rose Bowl Stadium in advance. How early do we need to get there? If using public transportation, where should we park the car at?

Son is a current Stanford student who just bought a student ticket at $75 and companion tickets at $150 each. We have to tweak our original vacation plan at Monterey for the Rose Bowl. Go Carnival!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

Okay. First, 5 hours is a very optimistic estimate under ideal circumstances. I think both routes take about the same time. Allow 6 hours , not even allowing for the possible monumental jam getting near/into the stadium area. Who knows how long dealing with traffic approaching Pasadena and getting into the lots. The Rose Bowl is located in a canyon and access isn't that easy. Maybe an extra 2 hours? I don't know.

This, from the Tournament of Roses website:

tournamentofroses.com/TheRoseBowlGame/TheGam…

"Driving to the Rose Bowl Stadium can be very difficult due to the heavy Los Angeles and game day traffic flowing in and out of Pasadena. It is strongly advised to arrive at the Rose Bowl Stadium prior to 10 a.m. in order to avoid the traffic associated with the Rose Parade presented by Honda. Please do not underestimate the time it takes to drive in and around the area.

Parking is very limited at the Rose Bowl Stadium; please consider carpooling, using public transportation or the free shuttle service to the stadium. Heightened security may slow your entrance into the stadium."

Not having done this myself, I don't know what you are going to encounter or what to recommend. Decades ago, I once drove some family members on game day to within @ 1.5 miles of so of the stadium, using a back road that only locals were using-- and it was pretty difficult. When traffic stopped, they got out to walk and I turned around.

More recently, they have taken the Gold Line and reported that it was a breeze. Lots of extra trains running so no problem getting on a train, and very short waits. Then, when they saw that there were long lines for the shuttle at Parsons, they just walked the 1.7 miles to the stadium, a 40 minute walk.

So, I guess either buy the parking, follow the directions on the TOR website, and allow perhaps 2 extra hours to deal with traffic and parking, so perhaps 8 hours in all.

Or, drive to downtown LA, taking 101 into downtown. Go to the Little Tokyo Gold Line station and park. (I'm recommending Little Tokyo instead of Union Station as I'm guessing that there may be more certainty of finding parking at Little Tokyo than at Union Station.) Wait for the Gold Line train going north to Pasadena-- probably less than a 10 minute wait. It's 25 minutes to the Memorial Park Station. Walk less than 5 minutes to the Parsons lot: if the shuttle lines are short, take the shuttle. Otherwise, follow the crowds in team colors for a 40 minute walk to the stadium. So that's about 90 minutes in all, possibly less than the traffic jam.

metro.net/riding_metro/…804.pdf

But this is all a guess. Hopefully someone will respond who has driven into the stadium area from the 210 just before the game. Good luck!

Edited: 08 December 2012, 07:31
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

This is an insane plan!!

Too many variables and the high likelihood you won't make it there in time if you don't leave Monterey early enough. You're looking at a good 6 hour drive WITHOUT stops and you could be slowed further by heavy traffic through Santa Barbara, Ventura/Oxnard and into the LA Basin, not to mention the crowds trying to get to the stadium.

You REALLY need to go the night before.

Edited: 08 December 2012, 13:10
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

I also think you need to get to LA the night before. Aren't Stanford the "Cardinals" not the "Carnivals", or have they changed their name?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

Arizona has the cardinals. Stanford is just Cardinal. If you really cannot go the night before, I would leave very early in the morning. Really Really early before dawn

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

Definitely before dawn. More like 4:30- 5 am. Ugghh.

About where to stay:

If you drive to the Rose Bowl, stay where ever you like, but don't plan on staying in Pasadena where the rates will be sky-high. I guess it depends on if you are planning to sightsee afterwards or just spend the night before heading home.

If you opt for public transit from Little Tokyo, look into staying at the Miyako Inn in Little Tokyo, if they still have availability. It is about a block from the Gold Line station. You wouldn't have to move the car, and there are lots of places to eat nearby in this lively pedestrian friendly area (not sure what is open on 1/1 though).

Edited: 08 December 2012, 19:11
Carmichael...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

It is Stanford Cardinal (the color, not the bird). Sorry for the spelling error. Thanks a lot for the responses so far.

10. Re: Drive from Monterey to 2013 Rose Bowl Via the 210 on 1/1/03

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Pasadena