We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
552 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

OK, maybe not the whole week, but extended forecasts are showing rain from 12/28 through 1/1. How likely is that to actually happen - i.e., rain for five straight days? Obviously some kind of front is coming - are your winter rains normally constant or more sporadic? Guess we'd better bring our ponchos. :( We had a lot of outdoor activities planned. We already have tickets for Bandfest and the parade grandstand, and I guess we can still enjoy the Huntington, although we really wanted to concentrate on the gardens.

But horseback riding and the beach towns might be out. We could substitute the Getty Villa for the Getty Center, but are there non-museum indoor options?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

The storms are usually more sporadic. It is really very rare for there to be even one full day of nonstop rain. Pasadena gets more rain than the coastal areas since the clouds get pushed up against the mountains.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

Well on my resource for weather on 12/28 the chance of precip is 0% during the day increasing toward night. On the 29th it's 89% with accumulation of .44 inch of rain. On the 30th only 15% and on the 31st 0% then on the 1st back to the 40s%. So for a winter period it doens't seem that bad.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,345 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

Who knows? Extended forecasts are pretty inaccurate. Also there are lots of micro climates, so it depends on where and what kind of rain. Just be flexible.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
552 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

Sporadic would be fine! That's what I was hoping to hear. We are planning to walk to NYE dinner from the Hilton (reservations at Pop Champagne) and the parade.

I was using my accuweather app which just shows "rain" every day. Weather dot shows 60% for the 29th (furthest out they go and the day we arrive). I know long range forecasts are not all that accurate, but figured I would be proactive. We're familiar with the mountain/rain dynamic from trips to Hawaii.

Last year we were in San Diego for NYE and the fog had everything totally socked in (like 10 feet visibility) until about 10 minutes before midnight when it completely lifted over the harbor.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

That's pretty much what it did 2 years ago...rained for days around Christmas. Not heavy, just off & on.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
552 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

LOL - the rain has completely disappeared from the forecast. Mayan apocalypse averted?

7. Re: Is it really going to rain the whole last week of December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:16