We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
21 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

What is the best route from the Marriott Burbank to the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl on New Years day? Is public transportation available? I do have a car. Approximately how much time do I allow?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

If you drive, take I-5 south to 134 east to 210 east. But Pasadena is a mad house on New Years Day with lots of cars, street closures for the parade, etc.

So my suggestion would be to take public transit to Pasadena, at least part of the way. To do this, drive to Union Station in downtown LA (http://goo.gl/maps/JzEcJ) - from there, take the Gold Line light rail train (www.metro.net) towards Sierra Madre Villa - the best stop to exit at for the Rose Bowl stadium itself is the Memorial Park station, but its around 1 3/4 miles of walking from there to the stadium. But if you walk about 1/4 mile to the parking lot of the Parsons Corp, from there you can get a free shuttle bus to the stadium. The Parade route itself is over 5 miles long so a few of the Gold Line stations will work. Depending if you have reserved seats, or not, as well as timing to get to the stadium for the game (I'm not sure what time kickoff is this year) and how early you plan to arrive, you may do better to head towards the end (east) of the parade route where the parade arrives later in the day and there's usually less crowds. Toward the start of the route (south and west) it is most popular and people camp out overnight (or longer) to get a good spot in that area unless you've purchased reserved grandstand seating.

Here's a map that illustrates the Pasadena area and where everything is on New Year's Day:

http://goo.gl/maps/wf8h6

If you want to go purely by public transportation, the easiest is probably going to be to walk from your hotel to the train station on the south side of the Burbank airport (I believe the Marriott you are referring to is at the airport). From there, you could take Amtrak or Metrolink trains (www.metrolinktrains.com and www.amtrak.com) to Union Station and then from Union Station take the Gold Line to Pasadena as I described above. The issue might be, however, the train schedules on New Years Day which may be more infrequent than usual and may not mesh well with the schedule that you want to keep.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,659 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

Do you have grandstand seats for the parade?

If so, I'd drive the Rose Bowl, try to get there close to 5AM, no later than 5:30AM.

tournamentofroses.com/RoseBowlGame/GeneralIn…

Park by the stadium and walk up to the parade route.

Hopefully you are coming in a few days early. Try to get over to the stadium the day before or two days before the game. You can buy souvenirs t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc before game day, see the floats as they are being decorated and other events.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 19:12
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

By the way, at least on non-holiday days its also possibly to use Metro buses 794 and 780 to reach Pasadena from the Marriott but I am not sure how the Parade and holiday schedule impact services on these buses.

http://goo.gl/maps/m4X9h

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
21 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

Thank you!

5. Re: Burbank/Pasadena transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17