We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lax or Burbank

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Lax or Burbank

Hi all,

Attending 2015 Rose Bowl Parade. Fly into Lax or Burbank?

Staying at Los Robles Ave Hilton Pasadena 12/31-1/1/15 close to parade route. Looking for hotel advice or suggestions for stays 12/30 and 1/2/15. No rental car. Any shuttles available or cab it?

Also heard Restabus is a good tour company with hotel pickup.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lax or Burbank

Bob Hope (Burbank/BUR) is closer and smaller than LAX, so easier to deal with. But being smaller means having less choices.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,490 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lax or Burbank

BUR is far better.

From the Hilton you are close to the Del Mar Station of the Gold Line subway/light rail. That is useful for getting around a bit. If you need a hotel the night before and after the Hilton, you can look in Downtown LA that will have cheap hotels over New Years since the business travelers are not in town.

http://goo.gl/maps/UamGC

And yes, RastaBus has a good reputation for their "Day in LA" tour.

http://www.adayinlatours.com/

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,262 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lax or Burbank

In looking at fares and routes, if you plan to fly out of MKE, flying into BUR will either be twice as expensive or take twice as long as flying into LAX. I prefer BUR but I'm not seeing it as a viable option.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lax or Burbank

Getting to Pasadena from BUR via public transportation SHOULD be really easy...but as far as I can tell, it isn't. Unless you take a taxi or shuttle.

Getting to Pasadena from LAX via public transportation is pretty straightforward, but not really fast. Take the Flyaway bus from any terminal at LAX, to Union Station in Downtown LA (@ 40 minutes + waiting time). (Make sure to get the bus marked "Union Station".) From there, take the Gold Line light rail to the Del Mar station (@ 25 minutes). Walk from there to hotel. In addition to the @65 minutes of transit time, there will be time waiting for the bus, train and walking within Union Station.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lax or Burbank

BUR to Pasadena via public transit is a 2-3 step process that can be done in a few different ways - two of which are:

a) take Metrolink or Amtrak train from the station at the south side of the airport to Union Station in downtown LA. From there take the Metro Gold Line train to Pasadena Due to train fare this is not the least expensive way to go

b) Take the free shuttle from BUR to the North Hollywood Red Line station, and from there take the Metro Red Line to Union Station, finally taking the Metro Gold Line from Union Station to Pasadena. A bit less expensive than the above. You need to arrange in advance for the shuttle between BUR and the North Hollywood Red Line station.

c) Metro Bus 794 from Hollywood Way at the east end of the airport - this will connect you to bus 780 which eventually goes to Pasadena.

www.metrolinktrains.com

www.amtrak.com

www.metro.net

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lax or Burbank

And Metrolink and Amtrak are trains that don't run all that often. Metrolink mostly during commuter hours. Check websites for exact schedule before assuming you can use those.

Altadena
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lax or Burbank

If you are renting a car, Burbank. If you are taking public transportation, LAX. Take the shuttle to Union Station and then the Gold Line to Del Mar or Memorial Park. Or see if the Hilton has a shuttle from either airport.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lax or Burbank

Asking which is "best" is not terribly meaningful unless you first look at fares and schedules. BUR is a small, easy-to-use airport, closer to Pasadena (driving distance). Fewer airlines fly to BUR. Fares CAN be much higher to Burbank, but you can easily determine that yourself for your specific travel dates.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lax or Burbank

I think the answer depends how much you want to pay for a flight, and can you get a nonstop to either airport? I do anything to avoid a change of planes.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,490 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lax or Burbank

It is an older question, but I would do anything to avoid LAX.

The Burbank Airport, now called Bob Hope, was for almost 25 years know as the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport and it is still run by the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority, so yes, I do believe it the easiest/best for Pasadena.